How to move User Account to a different partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aviator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. aviator1

aviator1 MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2013
    I've not been able to find anything about this subject here nor googling around.
    As many of us I have a relatively small ssd + secondary traditional Hard Drives (organized in a Raid5 array in my case). With Win 7 and 8 I'd been able to move my main user account on D:, a bigger and safer location, but it looks like it is no more possible with Win 10.
    If I only move my main user account, I loose the start button (if I left-click on it nothing shows up, if I right-click the relevant menu appears) and if I click on internet explorer (or whatever it's called now), its window appears for a while and then shuts down.
    If I try to change the new users default location, I am able to create an account, but when I try to login in the new account Windows says:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.
    User profile cannot be loaded

I used the registry tricks to try to do that but it looks that something more has to be done to accomplish the task. Any suggestion?

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #2 odiebugs1, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    How about their folders. See if this help with what you want. Removed long process, Beam's is easier.

3. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    You don't have to go thru all that just to move their file storage to another location. Just go thru each like documents, downloads, etc for the user account and right click select location and move to another folder on a different drive.

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks Beam.

5. aviator1

aviator1 MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks, I was not aware of this possibility.

Anyhow I still have not the possibility to move my thunderbird profile to another location as this rule does not apply to the Application Data folder.
    Syncyng with another foder is not an option, as I often use Linux and I have yet to find an application that, used on both OP's does't cause a mess with files bearing accented characters in their names I guess the real culprit is Samba, needed for remote backups, but I already messed enough times my 40 Gig of data to want to try again.

Any idea?

6. radelrama

radelrama MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    You're right, unfortunately not. And if you restore your imaged system, you're left with old ApplicationData. Unusable (for me)...

If have ALL appdata of ALL programs on harddisk D:\data, this includes Firefox profile / Outlook / GBs of Game saves

Copy content of c:\users\username\Appdata\Roaming to e.g. D:\data\AppDataRoaming,
    then try to delete c:\users\username\Appdata\Roaming, if no file is in use that should be possible.
    Now in CMD prompt
    mklink /J c:\users\username\Appdata\Roaming d:\data\AppDataRoaming
    and reboot.

Should drive D: be missing, Windows WILL start up with empty StartMenu / SendTo / Recent.
    It's good to have the contents of Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft zipped in a file on C:, just in case...

Do not try the same with Appdata\Local or Appdata\LocalLow.

7. aviator1

aviator1 MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks, I'll try. Having Linux, I will move Roaming from there. I should still be able to open a command prompt righ-clicking on the start Icon.
    Thanks a lot.

8. radelrama

radelrama MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    You're welcome... Mklink is same as ln for linux... right-click ok, this menu is in appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WinX...