How to obtain required Office licensing file

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by jasontata1, Oct 30, 2021.

1. jasontata1

jasontata1 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
    #1 jasontata1, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    An "online kms activation" method I saw said that two files are required for Office activation, and they are: "cleanosppx64.exe" and "cleanosppx86.exe". Moreover, these files can be extracted "from an 'old' version of Microsoft Tool 'O15CTRRemove.diagcab'".

(1) Can I still download this 'O15CTRRemove.diagcab' file directly from Microsoft?

(2) If I use online kms method to contact servers maintained by third parties, is there a chance, however remote, that responses from these servers could compromise or otherwise hack my system?

(3) The same github page indicates that the "offline kms activation" method requires the use of close source binaries/dlls, is that still the case?

Thanks for any pointers

2. jasontata1

jasontata1 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
  3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    (2) The responses aren't harmful AFAIK, the danger lies in the possibility of the server logging your accesses (IP etc.). That information could later be used to track you down, either by the server operators, or if the server was seized by the FBI. Use offline methods whenever possible.
    (3) Offline KMS activation is possible using Open Source tools (vlmcsd, KMS_VL_All etc.).

4. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #5 CaptainKirk1966, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Aren't they right there in the github repo?

I also thought that massgravel was a thing not to be discussed on MDL. ;)

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Some mentioning is allowed since it was done by @Yen too, linking to it isn't.

6. jasontata1

jasontata1 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
    Thanks for the clarification; I removed mentions of it from my posts :)

7. jasontata1

jasontata1 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
    #9 jasontata1, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    (OP)
    Thanks for the explanation. I left Offline KMS alone only because I read in some README file that KMS_VL_ALL required the use of some closed source binaries somewhere in the process. I'll go read up on KMS_VL_ALL now xD

Lastly, is there something like a product.ini file that contains the generic keys used for "Office Pro Plus" installation? On the forum here, with the search keywords "office 2021 key", I only found a MVS Dump, which doesn't seem to contain keys.

Other info (what I found from forum search):
    (1) Possibly better to install "office 365 pro plus" instead, and have KMS_VL_ALL convert it to a "Mondo" (experimental/bleeding edge feature?) license.
    (2) Found some links to the installation images, but I've yet to find keys that I might install it with (I did find a few keys from googling; just haven't seen keys here on the forum).

8. jasontata1

jasontata1 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
    #11 jasontata1, Oct 31, 2021
    (OP)
    Since reading that "wmic" is being deprecated, I thought I should learn "vlmcsd" instead of "kms_vl_all". However, I also found KMSEmulator, which sounds like it operates on the same principle and is more recent. How might people come to prefer/choose one method over the other (between vlmcsd and kmsemulator)? I think I saw more reading material available for vlmcsd, so I've tentatively decided on this method hoping that it's easier on a noob :)

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #12 CaptainKirk1966, Oct 31, 2021
    Microsoft Toolkit does dot depend on wmic, and has a gui interface that could make it easier for a noob. Vlmcsd is awesome, but localhost bypass, if needed, is trickier to configure. Neither vlmcsd nor the toolkit will do office retail to volume conversion.

10. PK&Y2

PK&Y2 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2021
    I've used offline KMS activations like KMS_VL_All, and yet I still get hit by reduced functionality, either after a certain amount of time or, just recently, as soon as I open the document I'm working on. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?