How to password protect a folder?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moonburn, Dec 14, 2009.

1. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Title says it all, basically. I was wondering (probably not) whether W7 has an option to password protect a folder or file. Just like you can do this with zip archives.
    I do know it's possible to encrypt a file, but I prefer to lock the entire folder (so also protecting the file names).
    Any suggestions for a (free) 3rd party tool? Cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
  3. oldude

oldude MDL Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Try 7-Zip or WinRaR
    Are you can do this create a limited user account for anyone else who uses your computer,
    and configure it so it doesn't have permissions to access your personal
    files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    If you RightClick the folder and open up properties, you should see a tab that says security. You can set it so that everyone but you is denied access. But make sure you dont do it to a system folder, that will completely foobar...

5. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Nice! I'll fiddle around with it a bit.

6. Bangre

Bangre MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    #6 Bangre, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Protect Folder And File Without 3rd Party Softwares.

I Know Trick, It Will Not Password Protect But No Nobody Can Open The Object.:cool:
    And Most Importantly You Will Not Require Any 3rd Party Software, I Have Tried It On Windows XP, Vista And 7.

What You Have To Do Is That:
    1. Right Click The Object You Want To Protect.
    2. Open "Security" Tab.
    3. Click On "Edit" Button.
    4. Deny Permission For Everyone.
    That All Now Nobody Can Open Object Without Removing Deny Tick Form Security.;)