How to permanently add SLIC in (newer) ASUS UEFI

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Tito, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  2. rubik

rubik MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2009
    Interesting... when you guys say "back up the newly flashed non-SLIC BIOS", it means back it up using which tool? That Universal BIOS Backup or whatever tool that's 2-3 years old? Or can I just back it up using BUPDATER.EXE?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Universal BIOS Backup Tool is enough :)

4. rubik

rubik MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks but, just for reference, would a backup made with BUPDATER.EXE also work or does the Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit extract/save something that BUPDATER.EXE does not?

(to me, it would almost be easier to create the backup using BUPDATER, so that's why I'm wondering)

5. RavenHD

RavenHD MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2012
    Hi, everyone!

Tito, does this permanent SLIC work on Gene-Z Gen3?

Because there is only one BIOS version, is this the working method:

1. Backup current BIOS with Universal BIOS Backup Tool
    2. Open the backuped BIOS with Phoenix Tool
    3. Select ASUS as manufacturer
    4. Select Asus.bin SLIC
    5. Choose New Module Method
    6. GO

And then flash it with Bupdater.

Did I understand right?

Thanks!

6. dEXE

dEXE MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2008
    Hello,
    I doing bios mod for my Asus P8Z68-V PRO board with DMI method, and in first have problems to boot, but resolved...
    Now I am curious, Windows loader show for my bios ALASKA, not Asus, and not showing that there is slic 2.1, also offer me Acer in profile?
    What is wrong?
    Is there any chance to revert to default non slic bios or to dynamic slic bios?
    Please help, on first I thought that I broke my board because problems, but why, I doing everything like in manual...

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just flash the original bios by BUPDATER, then use the Dynamic modded bios :)

8. path0s

path0s MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I too had problems trying to do the DMI method for my p8z68-v pro.. The ASUS built in ez-flash within the tools section of the uefi bios wouldn't even flash the DMI bios I created from a backup with universal bios backup. Something to the effect of "not an efi bios".. Then I tried doing it with a backup I made from ASUS's ai suite. It flashed fine, but black screen on boot. Not sure what the deal was with that, I thought I bricked my board, the recovery disc wouldn't do anything either. I ended up just having to hold down the MemOK button on the motherboard which brought back a POST screen where I could reflash the stock rom. I'm using the latest bios from ASUS: P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-3203.rom..

I know everyone wants to scream bupdater, but I much rather prefer to use the built in tool inside the bios to flash with. I've never had an issue with it, and I would even consider it to be more stable than a usb driver under DOS would be.

Ultimately, I just went back to the old way of dynamically adding the slic.

Anyway, if you seem to have bricked your ASUS p8 board, where the computer starts, then reboots to a black screen without ever showing anything on the monitor nor any beeps, and your usb keyboard/mouse is dead. Try just holding down the MemOK button on the motherboard for a few seconds until it turns off.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Noop, for MSI you should use Dynamic method. But its not permanent mod :(

11. path0s

path0s MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Has anyone had any success doing the DMI method with an ASUS p8z68-v pro? I'm trying to mod the latest 3203 bios version and still can't get it. The first problem is that the bios toolkit backup is always corrupted, if I try to flash anything created from a backup with that tool, the flasher always says "not an efi bios". Is there any way to mod a stock freshly downloaded rom directly from ASUS? Like maybe dumping just the DMI tables from the currently installed bios and inserting them into the stock bios or something?

12. deMarchi

deMarchi MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    try to mod bios on asus p8h67-i ver 0803. it's not moded.
    1 create a coy of the bios with bupdater
    2 mod it with phoenixtool195 in DMI mode (select slic file asus.bin only, and select dmi option, nothing more)
    3 install bios with bupdater back
    4 run Vista7SlicLdr2.4.9 to check - NO SLIC bios shown
    any ideas

ps i tried restore normal backup bios and repeat the procedure - the same

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
    did try with Universal BIOS Backup toolkit. nothing good happend. SLIC ToolKit x86/x64 didn't find SLIC table.

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm not sure... but you may try new module method. Some more expert modder can help you.... :)

16. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
    I think about this. (to try "new module method", not DMI) will board load after this method? :)

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    ASUS efi recovery is easy... just get the correct recovery name by Andy's tool, then rename the bios/efi file accordingly, put it in a FAT32 formatted pendrive, plug in ~ thats it!! :)

You can also use the safer Dynamic method... ;)

18. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
    "new module method" did help. just activated. thanks!

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback ;)

20. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
    the only SLIC ToolKit x86/x64 shows "No OEM SLP String found !" on SLP1.0 page in frame Valis SLP OEM String Offsets: 0. I don't think it can be critical.