How to prevent automatic updates from restarting your pc without permission?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by homoloordi, Aug 17, 2015.

1. homoloordi

homoloordi MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2011
    Is there any way to keep the automatic updates on but prevent them from restarting your pc without your permission/actions?

2. Rockfella

Rockfella MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Some features in 10 are really a headache, one is the one you mentioned and second is software search option is lame. It was better in 8.1. Sorry for the OT. I don't have the answer to your query.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lordashram

lordashram MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    Option 1) The easiest and most common is to change from Automatic to Notify to schedule restart in the Advanced Options of Windows Update

Option 2) If you have Pro/Education/Enterprise then use the following reg tweak to change Windows Update to not download nor install any updates but to nag you that there are updates ala Pre Windows 10 and give you the Download button so you can download and install updates at your leisure.
    Option 3) Disable the Windows Update service and only turn it on when you are ready to do updates:
    Disable Windows Update from the command prompt (requires Administrator permissions):
    Re-enable Windows Update from the command line (requires Administrator permissions):
    Turn it back off (requires Administrator permissions):

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    Option 2 only works if you do not manually 'Check for Updates' in the WU menu. You have to let the system find the updates on its own in order for updates not to be downloaded and auto-installed.

5. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    there was the shutdown command i used too "shutdown -a" if i recall, i had an win7 update who forced a reboot, i blocked that ...

6. lordashram

lordashram MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    Yeah, I had mentioned that in a few other threads but forgot to in this one.