How to prevent KB installing?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by RawData, Jan 24, 2012.

1. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    How to prevent WU installing certain updates for once and all? For example, KB915597.
    Every now and then Windows decides to get update for useless POS KB and I can't remember the way to prevent it.
    No, the key is NOT to hide it in WU, because then it offers older version next time!
    If my memory serves, there was a way to completely prevent the KB installing by telling Windows (via Registry?) that it already had the update.

Please, don't try to say "it won't harm any way", because EVERYTHING useless you install, will have harmful effect. Granted, it can be nearly non-existingly small, but it's there. The reason for avoiding everything useless is to lessen the "OS rot" which makes the computer slower by time.

And yeah... there is also the annoyance factor knowing/seeing some useless piece of garbage getting into your system over and over and over again. Any hints for accomplishing my task would greatly relieve my stress. ;-P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    #2 Paiva, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    When you download the updates from WU
    you select 'Advanced' and clears the update does not want to install.

At the time of installation of updates also have the option for you to install
    only the important updates that judge.

Finally you can leave the disabled WU.

Note: Not need to change the reg

3. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Well, there is a reason why I wrote this:
    "No, the key is NOT to hide it in WU, because then it offers older version next time!"
    IOW, hiding January update makes WU offering December update. Hiding December update makes WU offering earlier one and so on...
    And then in February it's offered again. I would like to get rid of it once and completely. To not even see it offered ever again.

IMO, It's stupid idea to include monthly updating, useless update in "important" category.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I understand it's purpose and being "important" to some people, but to me it's only useless annoyance without any beneficts whatsoever. Anything extra getting to PC is just extra payload degrading the system. However small amount that degrading may be, but it's addition to annoyance. :eek:

I'm trying to "lock down" the replacement system of Win2KPro router and trying to get it as lean as possible. Anything extra I consider being bad. If XP brings more trouble, I may as well just change the hardware and return using Win2K.

Other than taking care of BT transfers and running FTP server, routing is only job for it. Only UVNC, UPS software, etc. basics are installed additionally. No AV, no new IE's, no huge .NET or other bloat. In case of troubles/infection, it restores itself from image if ever needed.

Oh, well... perhaps I was expecting too much for XP. Not going to get more memory just because Win7, so Win2K may very well be the best option... :rolleyes:

5. delta925

delta925 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    Nowt wrong with 2k SP4 so long as you have drivers for your hardware and it will run all the apps you require.

The laptop I am writing this message on is 2K, no MS support so no Windows updates :D

Every time I want to use my XP laptop online along comes Windows update downloading then wanting to reboot after installing something or I'm waiting for the updates to install when I shut down :(

6. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    With Win2K I'm forced to use old FileZilla and there may be some otrher softwares with similar restrictions.
    I had usually 30-40 days between reboots and I timed hardware changes to same events. ;)

I had some small (XP firewall) and two bigger problems when I changed the server. The nearly fatal one is not XP related, as my UPS just died! Battery replacement was already overdue, but it looks like there could be more serious issue this time. The 1500VA PowerWare Prestige EXT has been serving me nicely, but new set of batteries is expensive...

So far I've not had any luck installing printer, either. Networks related issue there. Not that I really need my precious SCX-3205W to be available from router, but hey... it's nice to have printer handy in via LAN.

Other than that, router is up and running. Allthought I was disappointed to see the new uTorrent, I have tested it yet. Most likely they've added useless new features and purposefully forgot everything needed to fix or enhance it. :rolleyes:

Performance seems to be not so different than with old slow hardware and Win2K, but I guess I know more in a week or so.

Basically all I need currently, is making system image...