How to prevent standard users from installing apps/changing wallpaper etc

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gundja, Mar 3, 2018.

1. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi guys I have a small network of windows 10 pro pcs and I have created a admin and a standard account for users. But those standard users are always messing up with the settings by changing the colour background ,wallpaper or even installing web browsers . EVen moving the uac account slider upwards do not prevent them from modifying these settings.

Any proposed solution is most welcome
    thanks

2. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    shouldn't installing a browser require admin password for the standard user?

3. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    yes but even if I say no it can install both google chrome and Mozilla firefox successfully.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    just use gpedit.msc to configure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Why does this bother you when someone changes the background color or wallpaper?
    Anyone can use Chrome, Firefox or any other browser completely freely if you disable standard installation. Users can always install them in other folders and/or use portable versions that do not differ in any way from the standard version.
    Moreover, Firefox and Chrome installers will automatically install these browsers in the AppData/Local or AppData/Roaming folder if it can not be installed in the standard location ie in folder %ProgramFiles% or the %ProgramFiles(x86)% folder.
    The answer to your question is that You can not by any means ban such things if your users know a little about the using of computer and how computer works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    use power shell, run "DisableCtrldFolderAccess", will stop any file creations or mods...

Charl