How to program asset/svc tag onto Dell E520N for SLIC 2.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by charlie_bucket, Feb 16, 2010.

1. charlie_bucket

charlie_bucket MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    I have a Dell E520N (ubuntu) which I like to put SLIC 2.1 on. I have read and tried many things without success. I have flashed the latest 2.4.0 BIOS mod, however the SLIC Dump reports "SLIC OEM ID or Digital Signature Error". The SLIC version is 0.0, marker is invalidated. Read elsewhere that the SLIC table is not complete.

I have read some people were able to either run the Dell asset or svctag tool and fix this problem. When I run these tools I get this error message "This machine does not support an asset/service tag".

Attached is the RWE after the 2.4.0 mod.

Please help.
    Thanks very much!

Attached Files:

2. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 imatrix, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    have u checkd http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/129244? ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlie_bucket

Feb 13, 2010
    Hi imatrix.
    I am aware of that Dell tool. Unfortunately I do not have a floppy drive. I have been searching for virtual floppy emulator so perhaps I can copy the files into a bootable usb drive.
    Thanks very much for the pointer.

4. charlie_bucket

Feb 13, 2010
    imatrix, you are the best!
    Thanks to all contributors to this forum.
    I managed to borrow a floppy drive and followed your suggestion of using the Dell utilities. I now have SLIC 2.1.

After resetting BIOS to factory settings, it is odd that during BIOS bootup SATA-2 & SATA-3 constantly complains. Have to hit F1 to continue boot. The E520 BIOS does not use SATA-2 & 3. Did not have this issue before going through this procedure. I am still happy with SLIC 2.1.
    Did anyone have this problem?

Thanks!

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You do not use them, then turn them OFF in BIOS

sebus

6. charlie_bucket

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks sebus for your suggestion.
    The E520 does not use SATA-2 & SATA-3. I think the controller chip is missing to keep cost down. Anyway, I was able to correct this problem by going into the BIOS and loading all the defaults, then configure the appropriate settings and reboot. At this reboot, the BIOS will perform a drive scan to check for presence of drives. One more reboot and all is working well.