how to put a gadget on the desktop on an OS install?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crabdance, Dec 27, 2009.

1. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    I'm working on a Win 7 OS mod and I'm getting close to the end. One of the things I want to do but haven't figured out how, is to put a gadget on the desktop during the install. I just want to put ONE. It's a very nice clock.

I have looked and looked and I can't find anything anywhere! If someone out there knows how I can do that I sure would love some help on this issue.

ANY help is truly appreciated!

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    use autounattend.xml

Drop something like this in your Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar component,during the oobeSystem pass.

3. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for the information! I will give it a try. BTW: I like your Avatar. I have one just like it pinned to my taskbar :)

4. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I think during install you would need to have a runonce command that injected reg file for Windows Sidebar Gadget to run from startup

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Sidebar"="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Sidebar\\sidebar.exe /autoRun"

and also, directory location C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar ... will have a "Settings.ini" with gadgets on view ... that would require to be copied before startup.

5. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Thank you!

Thank you... I will try that too. That makes sense and seems like it might work. I'm going to do another install in about an hour and will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck :)

6. searchengine

searchengine Guest

Good luck :) ...

I'm thinking if you had your own Desktop Gadgets set up the way you like; then if you copied the "Settings.ini" file from the location I posted, it will have the gadgets and layout you want ... so if you copy that and get it on your disk and runonce to add sidebar to run from startup ... you should get gadgets on first desktop as per your own desktop.

Obviously you would need to make sure you copied any custom gadgets you may want to appear to the disk too.

I don't use my win7 gadgets, the last time I used gadgets was vista sidebar for xp. :p

Hope it works out for ya.

7. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Yup!

I tried your last idea and it worked. I know what I need to do now. The settings.ini file that is generated is nothing like the ones people have been showing me. It's a lot different. I just tested it and it worked.

Thank you so much for the help.

8. searchengine

searchengine Guest

glad it's working out for you ;)

9. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    well.... not quite

I got it to work once just while the system was up and running. I ran a runonce reg file on sidebar and put the settings ini in the right place. Then I just logged off and when the computer came back online, the gadget came online too.

But when I tried it with an installation it didn't work. What I'm going to try this time is when the install is complete, I going to reboot the system and see if when it comes back up the gadget will be added. I'm just getting ready to try it right now... will let you know what happens.

10. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    nope

rebooting at the end of an install didn't help. I got it to work one time. I put the reg file in the registry, then logged off, and when I logged back on it put the gadget on the desktop. I have not recreated that since.

11. searchengine

searchengine Guest

need details of how you are making iso ...

how are you adding sidebar gadget; settings.ini; and reg file to install ... are you using $oem$ methods?

12. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Here are the contents (which are embeded in another file).

NOTE: the blank in CurrentVersion is not there. It somehow appeared when I copied it to the quote brackets.

In the windows directory I have an Install directory where I install all the software once the desktop comes up. I have a GUI front end that's driven by a batch file. What you see above is at the very end of the batch file. In the install directory I have a directory called Gadgets. It contains all the information for the gadgets. I got that information by creating the gadgets, then copying the contents and INI file to my install directory.

Hope this is making sense. I hope you can help. I really want this to work but it sure is taking some time.

thanks.

13. searchengine

searchengine Guest

OK ... made a test $oem$ folder and RunOnce Folder ... and tested in a fresh Win7 iso .... worked fine.

I will make a small vmware video of end of install showing 4xgadgets I wanted to test install at 1st Desktop with 60% opacity on all gadgets, and clock set as preferred style ....

I will also upload $oem$+RunOnce folder that you can edit with your own prefs.

The $oem$ folder has command and reg file to run file from RunOnce folder; and the RunOnce folder delivers any extra gadgets to Program Files; settings.ini to user location; and regfile runs to add the run from startup.

Busy for a few hours, but will post video link and upload files asap. :)

14. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Thank you!!!!

You're a good man. I've been working on this for a while with no luck. If you found a way to make it work, I am in your debt. I will be anxiously waiting for your next message.

Thanks more than you can imagine...

15. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    another thing...

Since you seem to have a lot of knowledge, I have another question I would like to ask. I've been trying to find a way to include drivers with my install but have not been having much luck. I used Windows 7 Toolkit and their driver utility, but it's really ugly and 90% of the drivers fail (or maybe I didn't understand how to do it).

If you could help me out or just point me in a direction, I would appreciate it.

16. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    It works!

Yes it works. But the only thing is that it puts your gadgets on the screen. How do I pick and choose my own gadgets? I was just so happy to see the darn thing work lol.

17. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    more info...

Well, I realized that it was a 7zip archive so I got into it and changed the settings.ini file with my own that contained the gadgets that I wanted on the desktop. I need for you to explain what the "gadgets.exe" file is/does. Do I need one of my own if I change gadgets from what you sent?

I'm not that good with 7zip. Is there a way to edit an archive? I tried but it always says that "this operation is not supported".

thanks again for all the help.

edit: when I say I changed the 7zip file, what I did was make a new winrar sfx file.

18. searchengine

searchengine Guest