How to reconnect external Hard Drive without unplugging and replugging the USB

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kumaramy, Mar 25, 2019.

1. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello.

I have external Hard Drive plugged into CPU motherboard from behind for better eletricity supply. I kind of keep it plugged 24 x 7. So, now I just have clicked on quick launch Icon where it said Safely Remove Drive or something.. and the Hard Drive disappeard from "My computer". In short, I ejected it through system but did not unplug the USB because it is behind the CPU case and it's inconvenient to unplug and replug the USB again every time this happens. So, I am trying to find the way re reconnect it through system again.

Thanks.

2. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tovadyk

Tovadyk MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
  4. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Look, just unplug it. Then boot computer up, and then turn it off. Boot computer up again then re-plug the drive back in and the OS should detect it.

Stop being lazy and un-plug it from now on when disconnecting via OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tovadyk

Tovadyk MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    In my case the USB drive is mounted inside the computer case

6. netlords

netlords MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi

have you tried

echo rescan | diskpart

at the command line

7. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    No. I'm not being lazy. The hard drive is inside the CPU case and the cable is out from behind the case and plugged in USB port from behind. I can unplug and replug it as many times as i want but all the members in my house can't

8. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013

Yes. but that didn't work. It didn't reconnect the drive.

9. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    If you´re external HDD case has USAP support "asmedia controller for example" it should also work in " HDD sleep mode! ".

10. Al Cid

Al Cid MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    Hi,
    sorry for that, but I can´t post links, so ...
    ->raymond ->/blog/remount-ejected-or-safely-removed-usb-device-without-unplug-and-reinsert/

11. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    1 - This thread is confusing . It would be cool if people would respect the original poster and stop cross posting .Thanks .

2 - kumaramy . I dont want to be rude ...... i dont know your social and financial situation ...... but can you please tell us why you mounted an external HDD inside your computer case ?...... And ...... What computer have you got ? ......and why your family cant unplug the USB cable ?...... and why they need the external HDD in the first place ? ...... and why you dont just add another USB cable to the original one so that the conection between the two cables is visible and easy to disconect ...... or get a different computer ? ...... In europe a decent second hand laptop only costs about 100 euros / pounds / dollars ...... if one cant find a friend , neighbour , firm or school that throws them away ...... At least in europe they are throw away objects .......obsolete after two years .

If i understand you have a desktop computer turned on 24 / 7 ? ...... Wich uses MUCH more electricity than a laptop ...... and your trying to turn an HDD on and off without turning the computer off to try to save electricity ? .

Again i dont want to be rude but it sounds like the things your doing to try to solve problems are causing problems ? Thats why we need more information please .