How to recover deleted Windows Partition in Linux?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iMPossibl, Jul 3, 2012.

1. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Hello,

I have recently installed ubuntu to my laptop but I did the stupid thing of installing it to my current hard drive & using GRUB loader or w.e I did.

Now I had deleted windows 7 completely; so I had no boot menu at all, ubuntu says I hve no windows 7 & test disk can search deeply to find my deleted partitions; it finds windows but it can't recover as windows is 'unable to recover'.

Please help.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    2 things.. hirensbootcd.org and find and mount.
    done.

but its best to just recover your files and reinstall fresh.. next time watch youtube videos how to do it properly

3. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    But before I install this; I already have UBCD on a disk, so will that work equally the same?
    Also can you walk me through this properly I really don't want to f**k things up again.

Oh and what exactly will this do? I want to find all my old files & folders, and I don't mind a fresh re-install, but If I want to do that I need to make a new partition in linux ( which I don't know how to do ) so please advise.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Can you simply live with Ubuntu? If not, well, I'd suggest starting over as LatinMcG has stated. Copy off all your important data to floppy/flash drive/ external HDD/CD/DVD or something , wipe your drive and reinstall 7 and Ubuntu in dual boot mode. Or you can use WUBI (included in the Ubuntu 12.04 iso) and run Ubuntu from within Windows. Or you can run Ubuntu from the LiveCD and basically change nothing in Windows 7. I've dual booted, used WUBI and the LiveCD approach and all work fine you just have to decide what you want to do.

5. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    No, no.

I love ubuntu,
    I just don't love not having all of my files.

Let me make it simpler for you; I want to recover all of my files that are really important to me, that I (like a retard) didn't backup, and now I am paying the price for it. Those files are now lost; along with my windows 7. Linux has over wrote my windows. Can I still get it back?

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #6 PhaseDoubt, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Assuming they haven't been destroyed, you can get to all the Windows files on any disk that's attached to your system. I often use the Ubuntu LiveCD to do exactly that. Just find them and copy them wherever you want them. If you're saying you can't see the files from within Ubuntu, then they're likely gone for good.

If the data has truly been overwritten, then you need to talk to someone in the Linux community concerning a file recovery program. But if they have been overwritten (how many times??) they likely cannot be recovered by any home based means.

Yeah, you need to backup, backup, backup pretty often. But good luck in your quest.

Is this the same problem in your "Cant see boot menu after Ubuntu Installation" thread?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u can download it filedropper.com/findmount
    from ubcd4WIN or hirens boot cd:p
    its not hard.. scan. then mount.. then copy.
    =============================================

Linux:
    i install 7 first. with space left for ext4 and swap partitions... Primary. more than 4 partitions needs logical.

8. ronliebowitz

ronliebowitz MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2012
    You can try any third party data recovery software to recover your all files on of them software is Kernel for Window Data Recovery you can download this software for Free trial from here..
    nucleustechnologies.com/Windows-Data-Recovery-Software.html

Thanks

9. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    my partition is locked because it is boot, can i like taake a chunk off it or anything? gparted wont let me do nothing to the main hard disk?

10. Hyarmatey

Hyarmatey MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2012
    Testdisk and photorec can both recover files with integrated copy tool.
    Sometimes you need to adjust the partition types to allow it to see partitions correctly and list and copy files.
    As long as you don't write those adjusted partitions all remains the same after use.
    File by file, or all files in a missing dir are recoverable. Powerful tool and can run from ubu-livecd so disk remains unmounted.

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  12. eleeny24

eleeny24 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2011
    Partition recovery freeware

You'd better try easeus partition recovery freeware. It can retrieve all your lost partitions back

Very useful and the best is free
    You can download it from cnet or to their official website

13. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    If you had your data in windows 7 on the default OS partition under USER/DOCUMENTS etc i wouldnt bother even trying to recover. The reason being that the installation of ubuntu would have over written it probably. But if you had a separate DATA partition it could be possible to recover.

Ubuntu comes with a partition editor, and when you do an install, from memory there is an option to edit the partition layout. If there is no spare disk space for it to make a partition, unbuntu will just delete all the partitions already there and make its own layout - however it does warn you before doing so. Anyways there is the option in the install to create your own partition layout and to say where to put unbuntu, and size of swap partition etc..

14. Sony Ivy

Sony Ivy MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi...
    Don't worry!! Now also you can recover volume, if your partition did not get overwritten.
    When I was resizing partitions accidentally I pressed deleted option this lead to loss of huge amount of data. I tried to perform deleted drive recovery using in-built tool, but failed. Then I went for third party Hard Drive Recovery program. Really it works well and I was able to recover deleted partition from my Mac Based computer HDD.

You can download demo version to verify results before purchasing this reliable application. You can go through the links mentioned below for further details:
    diskrecoverymac.com/deleted-drive.html
    diskrecoverymac.com/download/diskrecoverymac-mac.zip

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Think I'll just stick with the free stuff and the superior advice found here.