How to Reduce JPG Image to a minimum possible file size without losing much quality? Help?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Amateur_Linux User, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Amateur_Linux User

Amateur_Linux User MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    #1 Amateur_Linux User, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Amateur_Linux User

Nov 9, 2017
    I am only able to keep the image readable at 40 - 50 kb but unable to reduce further without losing significant quality using my Photoshop and other online image resizing services.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Upload them one at a time to avoid the 5MB file limit?

4. Amateur_Linux User

Nov 9, 2017
    That's not an option. I need to create a single PDF file to upload it all in one go with all documents along with my digital signatures.

This is for the purpose of creating a new company.

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #5 Atari800XL, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    These are black and white pages? What's the point of making them too small (=unreadable)?
    I have scanned thousands of pages, jpg (for pages with color, pics, graphics) is usually around 70kb or more per page, if it has to be readable.

The GIF format seems to be better suitable for your needs: 20-30kb per B/W page, at a reasonable resolution.

You don't even need expensive software to make Pdf's out of your GIF's: "FastStone Image Viewer" can do it for free. (Just select the files, then select "Create - Multi-page File" and select PDF format). GIF is also much better readable when you zoom in on your (B/W) text.

Of course, the best solution would be to OCR the text, which would leave you with only 4kb per page, but that's a whole different topic...

6. Amateur_Linux User

Nov 9, 2017
    As I said, I need it for incorporating a new company which has 10 subscribers in the company. Have to upload their declaration, affidavits etc in the single PDF.

I am just trying to find out if it is possible to reduce sizes of B/W images since there isn't much color in it. Of course I won't try to incorporate new companies again with 10 members but have to do this.

I don't have problem making PDF, Just need to know how to reduce image size which is the real problem here??

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Amateur_Linux User

Nov 9, 2017
    Can't do OCR. I am told only scanned images are approved. It's okay if it isn't possible. I just gotta pay a little penalty amount.

But thanks everyone for trying to help.

9. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Just for fun, I downloaded your sample jpg, then converted it to B/W and saved it as GIF. File size was 14kb.
    You said only scanned images were approved, but scanned images saved as GIF are still scanned images :)

10. Userman

Userman MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2014
    @kaljukass: That's a pretty remarkable quality image with so much compression. Thanks for sharing.

11. Ero Rambos

Ero Rambos MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2017
    I generally use Compressor.io to compress the images.

12. shot²

shot² MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Processing the file by OCR results in very small page weight (~15 to 30 KB per page) in the resulting PDF. Here are two examples in a zip.

Attached Files: