How to Remote Control a Desktop, or more than 1?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by blackranger, Aug 3, 2010.

1. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #1 blackranger, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    Dear all MDL members,
    My Dad gave me a difficult question which I must solve it in a week. If I can help him with his problem, well he promised me he will buy me a new desktop.

The question itself is simple, "How to remote control ONE or more desktop computer(s) using WinXP Pro?"

But he is at the following situation / has such requirements:

1. There're 4 partners totally (including Dad).
    2. Each partner has 1 desktop (XP Pro) at home.
    3. There're 4 desktops (WinXP Pro) in shop (only 1 shop).
    4. All involved desktops have different but constant Hong Kong IP addresses.
    5. Desktops in shop will be controlled by any partners' PCs at any time.
    6. Documents will be transmitted between desktops at home and in shop.
    (7). Administrative power to control desktops in shop are the same for all partners.
    8. Desktops in shop cannot control their PCs.
    9. It will be best if no additional software(s) are needed (only use WinXP Pro).
    10. It will be best if 1 partner can control several desktops in shop.
    10. Additional software(s) they use must be legal for any business purposes.

If requirement 5 cannot be met, so Dad prefers each partner control only 1 single desktop at any time. Then requirement 7 is not needed by logic.
    If requirement 6 cannot be met, just let me know.

Any guides can solve his problem? Any questions, please ask. I'm just being so hurried to get a solution. :worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I use VPN endpoint routers and remote desktop....as for 1 desktop controlling several I control up to a half dozen, just open a seperate remote desktop to each PC, there's also remote sharing in XP.

3. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    Also you have to port forward port 3389 on each computer or it will not work

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Not when using VPN endpoint routers. You are thinking of opening a port from the WAN side to an internal IP on the LAN on a router that does not have VPN abilities. VPN endpoints handle IPSEC VPN traffic without exposing LAN computers via an open port.....and you can only fwd one service port to a single computer on the LAN. IPSEC VPN endpoint router allows more than one VPN tunnel to more than one PC on the LAN.

5. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
  6. equinox1001

equinox1001 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Sounds like the OP needs Teamviewer. Check it out via your favourite search engine.

7. infoaliasgar

infoaliasgar MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    One or more WIN XP desktops can be controlled using various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow etc.

8. Rainey

Rainey MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    #9 Rainey, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    You can also use a remote IP KVM.
    They will cost more then these other software options others have given.

A remote IP KVM will have very little setup, can support many more PCs if needed later, can support many more users if needed later.

There are many MFG's that make them with many different price ranges.

Dam i can't post links yet
    Just search Google for "Remote IP KVM"

9. koolance

koolance MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2012
    VPN is a good solution, but it requires specified hardware and maintenance.

I would recommend to use remotely anywhere, this application gives ability to control PC from a Browser using HTTPS and has no comparison or even close software by functionality.

There is no cloud needed, just install software, forward needed ports on a router and start using it. To access PC windows authentication is used

remotelyanywhere.com

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Team Viewer is unsecure! The service is running over their servers and they could capture the whole traffic/packages and do some times.

Some time ago I used Team Viewer for to connect to and customer who wasn't want to use RAdmin (which I mainly use for Remote Control) and shortly after connected using Team viewer I got a lot Scam and Spam Mails. That stopped after I deleted my account and ordered Team Viewer to remove my e-mail address from their database.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    AFAIK Teamviewer can be configured for a direct connection. Though that probably involves a bit of work puncturing firewalls and routers.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe. But I wouldn't take the risk again!! Unsecure is just that: UNSECURE!

I working with high confidential data of customers on my systems and I could not take any risk.

So, I use RAdmin which never gave's me a single problem, have also a direct connection to the remote machine without to take any 3. party service (which would the unsecure part), all packages are crypted and it's very fast with an very good security. That's all what counts for me. For simple private use may some service like Teamviewer would good enough, it's depend on the data stored on the connected computers.