how to remove dead folder icons from homegroup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by berdinatilli, Nov 11, 2010.

1. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    i finally created a homegroup, but then i realized that the system folder "users" was shared and could be seen in the traditional network, so i just unshared it, but by doing so the library folders got unshared too.

i tried to share the library folders individually, but by doing so i got the folder users shared again and got also new icons in the homegroup representing the library folders...

at the end i decided to unshare users again and forget about the library folders and just keep using my old fashion way share folder...

so, how to remove dead folder icons from homegroup ?

thx in adv.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. odeeee

odeeee MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    To remove the Homegroup and Libraries icons from your desktop, open regedit.exe from the Start bar, and navigate to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\

In the NameSpace folder, there will be a folder (key) with the name {B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}. The value of the default item should be "Other users". This is the registry entry Homegroup icon. Delete the folder from the registry.

In the NameSpace folder, there will be a folder (key) with the name {031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}. The value of the default item should be "Libraries". This is the registry entry This is the Libraries icon. Delete the folder from the registry.

Go to your desktop and hit F5, the icons should disappear. Libraries and Homegroup have retained their full functionality as far as I can tell, so it hasn't appeared to have affected the programs at all.

Hope this helps some others save time and remove unwanted icons

Credit to here for info forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=320915

3. berdinatilli

Aug 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. berdinatilli

Aug 21, 2009
    well, the dead icons are gone on both my computers, it seams that windows takes care of it by itself after a week unable to access the corresponding folders...