How to remove Intel Management Engine?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Lutschpuppe, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Junior Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Hello folks,

as many of you know, it is possible to remove partially to avoid critical security vulnerability and spyfunctions of ME: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner

My problem is, that this is a python-script and i have absolutely no knowledge or experience with this programming language. I found this: https://www.win-raid.com/t2540f39-ME-cleaner.html#msg42703
    I installed python 3.6, but the script isn't working.

Can someone explain step-by-step how to get this working or a manual mod (hex edit)? I still have the SPI-image of the BIOS.

Thanks!

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    remove clean ME from bios is to reset its settings.. not to actually remove whole ME but a clean ME that will allow boot.

now new procedures needed to fix that ME flaw.

4. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #4 nexus76, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I compiled the script with py2exe, so you can download me_cleaner as a windows executable.
    On my ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer I was successful applying it with

me_cleaner -d -S dump.rom -O dump-mod.rom

[​IMG]

-S applies the HAP-bit (soft-disable), in detail:

The only downside for me is that my Z97 onboard Intel NIC doesn't work under linux and macOS anymore, no such issues under Windows.
    Guess it's a VLAN-related issue.

For cross-compatibility I put an Intel Gigabit CT NIC into a PCIe 1x slot and disabled the onboard NIC via UEFI.
    Meanwhile me_cleaner even worked for me on my Probox23 (H81) and my miniITX Celeron 1037U (C216) board flawlessly.

kind regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...