How to remove Plasma 5 from Ubuntu and derivatives

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SOCRATE_MMXII, Jan 9, 2016.

1. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the flat look started with Windows 8 and continued with Windows 10. Linux world seems to be plagued in a small measure of the same "flat disease" starting with KDE Plasma 5.x
    This made me stick to KDE 4.14.3 which is the latest KDE without being "flatenized".
    Some distros, such as Kubuntu 14.10 have both KDE 4.x and KDE Plasma 5.x.
    In order to remove KDE Plasma 5.x from distros based on Ubuntu 14.04, you have to the following:

Open Terminal as root while in KDE 4.x and type:
    sudo apt-get purge project-neon5-* -y
    sudo apt-get autoremove -y

For distros based on Ubuntu 14.10, open Terminal as root in KDE 4.x and type:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge -y
    sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-plasma5-desktop -y
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next -y

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you Socrat. :)

I was never a big fan of the flat GUI. I suppose it has its' place, but, IMHO, not on a desktop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Its vile, putrid and repugnant. It looks cheap and nasty, no flare, no originality and BORING!!!!

There, I said it!

:p

4. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #4 wmh, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Hey I was just reading about this flat issue on a brazilian portuguese forum I visit! I have some doubts (as usual :D):

What Ubuntu version is Mint 17.03 based on?

If I remove these won't my cinnamon desktop be messed up? I don't like the flat visual and I agree with Michaela, flat is good on mobile devices not on desktop. Desktop are good with curvilinear icons/images.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #6 SOCRATE_MMXII, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    (OP)
    Mint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, but if you have Cinnamon edition then you don't have to worry. The instructions above are for those, like me, who use Mint KDE edition.

L.E. Mint 17.3 KDE edition has been released. KDE is 4.14.x, so no flat GUI. :clap:
    Linux Mint 17.3 KDE features KDE 4.14, MDM 2.0, a Linux kernel 3.19 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.