How to Rename Multiple Files in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rgsmile, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi. Hope I have posted in the right forum.

I'm trying to rename multiple files and folders in Vista Home Prmium. I can use the rename feature, but they do not come out in the same order as I selected them.

I place them in the order that I want them. I then select the last one, hold down the shift key, select the first one and they all darken. Then I click the first one, right-click and select rename. Now in Xp I would type in the newname, select the-, then a space, then a (, select my starting number, such as 10, then a ). then I'd push the enter key and they came out numbered in order. [example: newname- (10), newname- (11), etc.].

But in Vista, it moves them around and even though my first number was 10, That file moves to the end, and I have multiple files with a (1), (2), etc. And they do not come out in order.

I've tried using (NewFile_<Inc Nr:1>) as suggested elsewhere, but it still does not keep them in the same order as I had selected. Also, it is too cumbersome to use all the time.

I hope I have been clear enough.

Thanking you in advance for any help.

rgamile

2. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    Rename a Series of files

I can't believe that no one is aware of how to do this.

3. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    Anyone have any ideas what forum I should try? It's obvious, that this was not the place to come for help. Please do not take offense by my statement, I'm just getting a little frustrated.

4. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi, and thanks for the link. I've tried a few of these which did not work. Most work with XP, but I have quicker ways than an app to deal with XP. I'll try some of the others and see.

It's Vista that I'm having problems finding the right "formula" to use.

Thanks again.

5. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    I tried the first one listed and it is not for 32-bit system. I looked at 4 more, and either they are for XP, or on first glance, so confusing that , baaaaa.

All I need is the right formula, similar to the one I stated in my original post-entry (which is for XP). I'm not looking for an confusing, too complicated app.

Thanks anyway.

6. dorayakii

dorayakii MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2008
    Frustrated with vista!!!!!! (rant)

I've had this same problem with Vista. I had been arranging files for ages into the order that I wanted them to be numbered. I selected all the files as I usually did in XP and renamed thinking it would rename the files sequentially acording to the order they were in.

Instead it seemed to randomly change the order and rename the files randomly. It's SOOOO frustrating. I'm not at all a violent person but I wanted to shout at my computer and hurl it across the room smashing it to smithereens. Computers and crap operating systems bring out the worst in me. Why on earth does this feature not work the same as XP??? What was the benefit of changing this transparent, intuitive aspect??

Also when you browse through photos in Photo Gallery it goes 104, 53, 28, 166, 2, 45 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... I just don't get it!!!

I think the only option at the moment is to individually rename the files one-by-one, but even when you do that the browsing order is still INSANE!!

To be honest, I'm fed up of Vista and all these little things which make using the computer such a drag. I'm considering going back to XP. Something which took 5 minutes on XP takes 25 minutes on Vista, and not just because I'm not used to the system.

ARGGGHHH!!!:mad::mad::mad:

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #12 sebus, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    Thank you, I eat my hat FreeStyler, it looks at least same powerful...

sebus

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yes it is a good program, found it a few year back, small, powerful, easy to understand for novice users and easy to carry around/make it portable for USB stick

10. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  11. papo2

papo2 MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    iamanoob: Do you mind let me use that extra license you have? I have been looking for a little program just like the one you are using. I will most certainly appreciate it.

BTW, where can I get the widgets you have on your Sidebar. I really likes!!!!