How to repair and restore Windows 8.1 Permissions?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Apr 13, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Something got screwed up when I disabled UAC completely, then used bcdedit DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECK and TESTSIGN commands. Then Windows performed some kind of a repair during boot!!

My CS:GO will not launch now. I believe it has to do with permissions and Windows Repair. Is there a way to fully restore all permissions to their defaults or fix my issue without running Windows Restore or Refresh? Is there a way to look up where the problem with CS:GO lies? It just will not launch, saying CS:GO has stopped working. I tried Win7, WinXP compatibility modes, and also running it as an admin... - no go! I think its OS issue, not CS:GO!

Also, I used Tweaking.com Windows 8.1 2.5.1 Repair tool. It didn't do much good, but I hope a similar one exists that would help?!

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    beyond sfc /scannow

Just in case, an elevated command like sfc /scannow gives you an error message and is unable to fix some kind of computer problems, there is a more powerful method to get rid of problems:

type in: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This should repair your machine to a good state.

Courtesy of PaulDesmond

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    All is fine there in regards to check-disc or SFC scanning, but my PC just started having too many hang ups, slow downs, etc. At times This PC takes 20 seconds to show up, even though I run minimal software in background, have a good SSD, and plenty of RAM. Yet, there is NO malware, viruses, etc. Its a top-end PC. Most games run just as fine FPS-wise, but not always responsive. Some things that used to work perfectly don't load at all. It just keeps screaming for a format and re-install, but I would hate to do that!

4. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Try a system restore. :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...