How to RESET ASUS Vivo Tab Smart Tablet???

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by z_zk_z, Feb 8, 2013.

1. z_zk_z

z_zk_z MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    I upgraded the O/S to Win8 Pro from Standard in order to use the WMC and now the Sleep mode doesn’t behave as before. Does anyone know how to reset it back to the factory settings? The Win8 RESET function under the Control panel returns it back to a fresh copy of Win8 Pro and not Win8 Standard. I also see a recovery partition on its Hard Drive. THANKS a lot for any help…

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Works similar to Laptop. The product key is in BIOS and it's for Core. That's why installs back as Core.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. z_zk_z

z_zk_z MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks, so I just need to modify a registry?????????

Downgrade Win 8 Pro to Win 8 Core

Open up regedit
    Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    Change the EditionID to Core
    Change the ProductName to Windows 8 Core

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally the installation will be go for the Product Key used, in your case for the Core. If you own a legit Pro Key, after the installation try to upgrade to Pro using that key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Because you using an Tablet, what Media you could use for to install Windows 8 from ISO? Normally your Tablet should have an Mini USB Port/Connector and, if you tablet run with Intel Atom Dual Core CPU, you should be able to boot from USB, or even MicroSD Card.

If you could do so, create an bootable media from Windows 8 RTM ISO, boot from it and while run Setup, chose Upgrade and follow the required steps. That normally should work and also bypass the BIOS key while asking for the Upgrade Key.

Hope that helps.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't think that will work on an Tablet! That Vivo Tab Smart has max. 64GB SSD or even just 32GB if standard! So space for a recovery Partition would use the near full rest of available space after installation of Windows 8! The Lenovo, Samsung and Asus Tab I was able to check in Thailand were all without recovery partition.

7. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    The OP himself posted he has a recovery partition in that forum and the post i linked was an answer to his query there ,please read the OP's post in the link i provided above.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No sure that's true! The SSD's with Windows 8 core from Lenovo, Samsung and Asus having the System Reserved Partition but a recovery Partition. The OP was using the Win8 RESET function, which is standard in any Windows 8 Installation. The use space of the SSD fresh from Factory is about 14-16GB depend on Brand. If the SSD has just 32 GB, it would need another min. 10+GB for an Recovery Partition if there should be one. As those installation also having a Trial of Office 2013, there would be very little space left if the tablet is standard config with 32GB SSD!

OK, maybe the OP has the 64GB Version, he didn't was tell what he really has just the Asus Vivo Tab Smart. And many users also "seeing" the System Reserved Partition as Recovery Partition, which isn't one. It's hard to be 100% precise without all infos.

9. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#12 =)(=, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  10. z_zk_z

z_zk_z MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    Hold Power + Volume up when turning on

Yes, I saw it. I am going to try the "Hold Power + Volume up when turning on" when I go home. Can you access the ASUS Update Server? I cannot and I was wondering if Win8 Pro has anything to do with it. I will also try the suggestion in the other post from Microsoft Forum.

If it's anything like the TF810c (if it has 64GB of storage it's likely to be) then you can re-install Windows in many ways. The easiest is to swipe from the right to get the Charms bar up. Press the Settings icon and then select 'Change PC Settings'. Hit
    General at left side and you'll see an option to re-install Windows.
    Should Windows not load up, you can also reinstall Windows by accessing advanced startup via the EUFI BIOS screen. Hold Power + Volume up when turning on to access.
    You can also copy the re-installation files from the hidden OEM partition to a USB stick using a built in Windows 8 program. Can't
    remember what one.

11. z_zk_z

z_zk_z MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    Look at the instructions in eightforums web site under installation-setup section and look for

how-reset-asus-vivo-tab-smart-tablet