how to reset bad sector from ntfs table

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Viggen66, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Viggen66

Viggen66 MDL Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    Dear all,

I have been having problems on my primary hdd, and after doing a full hdd scan, I found that I had some bad sectors, which caused some windows hangs, problems, and some bad file reads.

After googling for programs to recover and fix those bad sectors, I have found HDD Regenerator, which did a wonderful job, on fixing and recovering all my bad sector by using a patented algorithm to magnetize again those bad sectors on my hdd.

But after that, I still have marked on my ntfs partition those bad sectors, even tough they are ok now, how to I reset the bad sectors on my partition, to mark them as good to use, Without losing the contents of my hdd?

Thanks

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Backup all your data before your hard drive dies,it sounds like your hard drive will die pretty soon,it happens

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You already used HDD Regenerator & now errors appeared again.. Time to change HDD..

4. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    The question is that HDD Regenerator fixes bad sectors but doesn't reset them from the patition table, but you are right, my hdd must be dying slowly

5. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    It didn't appear any new error, now the HDD is working right, but I still can't use those blocks that are ok now, because they are flagged as bad on the table

6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    These regnerators can only fix soft errors up to some extent.. But if after using this they are appearing again then its wise replace HDD.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    run a new scan to recheck bad sectors, if all else fails you can partition the bad section of the drive as unallocated space and use the rest of the drive. I have a very old laptop with aprox 17gb of unallocated space used because its full of bad sectors lol, the rest of the drive runs fine. That was from the old laptop getting dropped.

8. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    EFA11, I guess the problem of this hdd is precisely the same as ours, this from a laptop, as you move along with your notebook, from one place to another, the hdd is still spinning around, whereas it shouldn't even be moved, to avoid possible problems on the future, that is something that it doesn't happen with a desktop computer, making them more reliable.

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #9 PaulDesmond, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    seems that this HDD generator crap does not work at all. I didn't write about it yet but I know a guy who sells this Bulls**t since years with success and always laughs his bud off for days about his sales commission, telling me that it is totally useless nonsense :roflmao:

10. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    Probably it doesn't work, but I'm not facing any problems now, do you know how to reset bad sectors on the ntfs table

11. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    HDD-Regenerator works. I had a customer with 57.985 Bad Sectors, which I repaired and recovered 25.7GB. The HDD was full of important pictures / videos and I only lost 2 pictures out of the whole lot, but it took me 8 days and nights and multiple-scans. I moved the files with TestDisk of the HDD.

When I got the HDD, it was only showing up in the Disk-Management and asked to be formated.

I used the HDD-Regenerator quite a few times successfully over the last few years.

:)

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    The guy I'm talking about told me, that NOT physically damaged/old disc "can" be run through the software and it might be a very very small chance that few data which are not really damaged could be restored and he always laughed about this when speaking about it. If data still is on the disc and can be read indicating that the disc still works, it is quite obvious that these data can be taken to a safe place but the disc still is outworn and must be replaced immediately prior to loose everything.
    I, myself never ran such miracle toys as I don't believe in such things and never would trust. I prefer backup/backup/backup and do not HOPE, everything will be fine the next day.
    If you had success with using the tool, I say "Chapeau" and good luck for any future experiences with it ...

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Open an administrator command line shell and type

chkdsk x: /f /r

The /r switch will recheck sectors marked bad. Note that you may have to schedule the scan for the next boot if the volume is currently in use.

The HDDRegenerator and similar programs cannot repair physical defects, but they force the drive firmware to deal with 'em. Either they'll get mapped out permanently, or verified as good and returned to the pool.

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    that's exactly what I understood. If data is still there and can be read, they will but damaged sectors where data was originally, it is quite impossible to get'em back to life.

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #15 Carlos Detweiller, Mar 17, 2013
    In many cases the sectors are not really bad, just something occurred that made them look like being bad to the drive firmware. Then that sector is marked as a ''pending sector'' for later internal re-checking (requires a write attempt to that sector, though). Unfortunately, modern OS detect these sectors as failing because operations on them tend to timeout while the firmware is working. Then they are marked as bad in the FAT/MFT though they have been replaced by spare sectors.

If sectors really and truly have become defective physically, s**t has hit the fan. These areas tend to grow over time, and nothing can recover them. These tools just rely on the fact that most of the time sectors aren't truly bad. Today the firmware or drive electronics tend to fail sooner than the magnetic domains.

16. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    I have already figure it out, we have to do it on Windows VISTA 7, just type chkdsk /B and it erases the bad sectors information., I couldn't do it because I use XP and that option is missing, only by Hiren boot dvd, but HDD Regenerator works, but the author tells that some physical errors can't be fixed and it only works for unopened hard drives but it does a wonderful on most of the bad sectors, on my system it cleared everything, just magnetized the bad areas

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #17 EFA11, Mar 17, 2013
    I am currently running HDD-Regen on an eeepc

View attachment 21178

lets see what finishes first, the eeePC burning up or the program (17gb of bad sectors). Notice time upper right? :eek:

-ed-
    25 minutes into it, it has found 63 bad, currently working on 63 and recovered 62 :eek: lol

18. Viggen66

May 24, 2011
    TONSCHUH, is true, this software can sometimes be very time consuming and take days , on my particular case it took a full morning to finished the repair, Pre scan and repair