how to retrieve data on my dead laptop ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by potjevleesch, May 20, 2011.

1. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    Hi ! my 7 years old laptop unexpectedly booted on a black screen, listenning from the dd and fan noise I assume it booted correctly till the windows session, leading me to think the graphics part is dead, I hooked an external screen which kept black too.
    This makes me think the graphics chip on the mobo is dead.
    The question is: how can I retrieve the data from the hdd since I'm "blind" ? I want to avoid disassembling the bugger.
    Thks in advance:)

2. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    You could try a bootable CD/DVD... something like Hiren's or Ultimate Boot CD. There are tools to copy from the drive ( perhaps to an external USB HDD for instance) at least you've got your data then. Definitely make sure you have your data BEFORE all else... if the HDD is dying you may have limited time before its no longer accessible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    thks
    as said above it's only the graphic part which is dead, hdd etc are fine

4. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    #4 willko, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    Ahh, sorry for mis understanding.. What about buying a USB graphics card and then return it when done? They are pretty cheap (about £30) and the last one I used worked without having to install anything, or press any keys,... once windows had booted it sent a signal,.. like a usb mouse would work "blind". It was a startech model IFRC.

another possible way would be to hook up to a LAN, or use a RJ45 crossover, or whatever and RDP into laptop, that is if it has remote connections allowed...

TBH though, it sounds like just removing the hdd and copying the data on another machine would be easiest,... do you not have access to a PC somewhere? Its usually very easy to remove a HDD from a laptop. What model is it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    thks
    I'll try first with an ethernet connection to my Win 7 PC, then by removing the laptop HDD and hooking as slave to my Win 7.
    I'll give you the results.
    Thanks