How to share External Usb Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Proz, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Proz

Proz MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    I have an external usb Western Digital " My Book " HD connected to my laptop running Windows 7 ... i want to share the the drive over my network to another desktop also on Win 7 and another Vista laptop .... im a novice at this kind of stuff so please be gentle .... i clicked on the drive from the pc its connected to and chose share .... on the other pc's it shows up but when clicked on it says permission denied or something like that :mad: .... i would like to be able to access it from any of my pc's and not have to unplug it and take to the pc im using .... i can access public folders on all pc's but i just cant get this drive to work .... i would be greatfull if someone could tell me how its done in plain English please

Thanks in advance :)

2. Proz

Proz MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
  3. cali310

cali310 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    go to control panel and click network sharing center then click change advanced sharing settings. Scroll down to password protected sharing and turn it off (it's on by default). Now click save changes and you should be set.

4. Proz

Proz MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Nope that didnt work :confused:.... the drive shows up in my network but when i click on it it says i dont have permission of some crap like that ..... oh well it doesnt matter :mad::(