How to Skip "Checking for Updates" during win 8.1 Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bertikul, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #1 bertikul, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Hi

When I'm installing Win 8.1 Pro, it starts automatically "Checking for Updates" near the end of install process. That is before getting to Windows Start screen/Desktop.
    I'm using a autounattend.xml file, but didn't find a way to skip "Checking for Updates" yet. It is the only answer I could not automate. Trying to do that without user intervention. Just by means of autounattend.xml file.

Anyone can help with this issue?
    Thanks

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    as soon as you reach the Windows 8 initial welcome screen, the first option is to turn on automatic updates, turn that off for now, the second option is to enable automatic driver updates, turn that off

then continue your setup as usual

I never EVER turn on automatic driver updates otherwise Windows updates will install the drivers on its own whereas I want to install them myself from the laptop manufacturer's website and not from Windows updates since those are way better. The Windows updates drivers provide basic functionality for the laptop or computer to work but are not optimized in any way

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    ian82 thanks for the reply.

In fact I'm looking for a solution to skip "Checking for updates" during install, I mean before getting to windows. There should be an answer to use in autounattend.xml file to bypass that, which I haven't found yet. Once in windows we can do what we want, yeaaa, you are write about that.

4. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    that's what he said , you start the install and on one of the first screens you get the option not to check for updates while its installing win 8.1

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Windows 8 (unlike in win 7) has this habit of at least installing my NVIDIA gpu updates. This is done even after (a) updates being checked before download (instead of install auto or download but check before install) (b) checking for updates and then unticking NVIDIA. Even unticking NVIDIA has had no effect but sometimes it works.

The point is not that windows drivers are useless but I have updated offline installers and I do not want windows to (a) install (b) waste 150-200MB of download for something I do not need.

Any solutions. I do all I know immediately on install but still it is a hit and miss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #6 bertikul, Sep 13, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks shakennstirred

I have automated everything with autounattend.xml. I don't have "first screens you get the option not to check for updates while its installing win 8.1". Can not interfere there/don't want to interfere. I left myself intentionally only the choice to select in which hard drive/partition to install windows. Everything else is automated. I want it that way.
    Just looking for a solution/answer for autounattend.xml file to skip updates during install without my/any intervention. That's the point of creating an answer file. Otherwise why bother to create one?

7. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    The best way would be turning off the router or disconnect the land line BEFORE installing, that way it won't have any way to do the update.

8. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #8 bertikul, Sep 13, 2013
    (OP)
    @ ODY123

I'm not really looking for such a "solution", but thanks man

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    but disabling the updates lik I said should work bro. How will any drivers be installed if you didn't even get past the initial welcome screen and turned off driver and windows updates? this has always worked for me

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    that is part of the express or custom settings during install isnt it? where you disable or not setup winupdate and install device drivers etc. It has to be in there somewhere, maybe in oobe somewhere?

11. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    It is a long story bro.
    You Install normally Windows first......do what you want with your account, parameters, install whatever you want and, once finished, do a "sysprep" command + unattend file (to copyProfile) + restart in another windows 8.1 partition + "capture" command + "export" command + + + ...... so new install.wim.
    Create an autounattend.xml file with all the answers you want/can so that you automate almost everything and don't have to manually answer/click here and there during install. You would put that autounattend.xml in the root of your newly created ISO ......./etc etc....
    New iso 8.1 Pro with WMC + Office + whatever + autounattend.xml = No User intervention during install. Almost everything is AUTOMATED. Windows installs itself till the user/admin start screen/desktop.
    ( sorry I have no time to make a real guide...but there are thread in MDL that can help anyone to do that)

Please Please, if you don't have an answer/solution for my issue, just let us both wait for other peoples answers. THANKS

12. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #12 bertikul, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    (OP)
    That is exactly what I have done. Created a answer file with ADK 8.1. I got to the point I have all my answers except "checking for updates" thing. That's why I'm looking for help here. Maybe you are wright: How knows if Microsoft will let us stop/skip that part :)?
    Thank a lot

13. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    You can skip automatic updates after installing Windows.

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #14 EFA11, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007

I guess you are wright. I'm looking in "Windows System Image Manager" for any option that can skip that. I'll let you know if I find any. Thanks

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    just replying in case you missed my post above, they were post about same time hehe

17. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #17 bertikul, Sep 13, 2013
    (OP)
  18. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    EFA11 YEEEEEES <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC> worked like a charm. No more "Checking for updates" My mistake. Had put that to "1" for same reason.:confused:

THANK YOU for helping and making me check and correct that value. :worthy:

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    no problem, glad to help :biggrin:

20. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #20 murphy78, Sep 13, 2013
    I've noticed this issue without any sort of unattend file.
    It seems that the update service is trying to do something right after install, no matter what you set the update choice to.
    Since I don't use unattend files, I've started including a command to reset the windows update service. This stops this weird initial check thing.

It could be that it's trying to auto-update the software and that the servers aren't online yet.
    We won't know for sure until after GA.

In the meantime, here's an easy workaround script:
    Code:
    net stop wuauserv
    timeout /t 5
    net start wuauserv