How to stop IE WebCache?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Jan 28, 2019.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I tried everything Google research advises, and CCleaner still detects consistent and constant WebCache... - 16MB.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Just as long as you use IE is also a web cache. Stop using IE and no longer have any web caches.
    If You say there is 16MB, it is so little, why it disturb You? Look how much Firefox or Chrome have. And it doesn't disturb You at all?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I don't use IE. I actually have it removed, but that cache continues to be created.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You cannot remove it, You can only hide. And it doesn't have no matter, if You use or not but there are Windows components that uses in background.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #5 shewolf, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Access to this post is restricted!
    You're trying to open the post, written by @shewolf,
    but unfortunately it was marked as a draft (by the user himself or the UFO)

:eek:

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
  7. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #7 rayleigh_otter, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    @TairikuOkami :worthy: :) Will test on 8.1 when my download queue finishes.

8. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I followed these instructions and it didn't work on my Win-10 system.
    ====================================================
    "The main culprit happens to be a task bundled with Windows called “CacheTask“. To find this, open Task Scheduler from Administrative Tools, navigate to Microsoft > Windows > Wininet. This should be the only task listed there."
    ====================================================
    @TairikuOkami - your tip is a good one, but I'd rather have the files available for whatever program might need it to be present. What I do is to delete the entire directory with a batch file that I run in the morning when I start up my computer first thing that cleans up a lot of junk that Windows created the previous day.

It's only a couple of lines in the batch file that get rid of the directory and all of the files;
    taskkill /F /IM dllhost.exe
    rd "C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /s /q

If a Windows process needs something in the WebCache directory, it will created it, and all the necessary files. If you want to see what's in all the files, run this from an admin CMD window:
    taskkill /F /IM dllhost.exe

Then you can rename the WebCache directory to WebCache.old and take a look at the files that are in it. No need to worry about restarting dllhost.exe or not having a WebCache directory.

Windows will start up dllhose.exe and re-create all the files in the WebCache directory the next time it is needed. All the new files will have a few entries, mostly the data will all be zeros.

If you are curious as to what gets written to all the files, just repeat the process at the end of the day, and instead of naming the directory WebCache.old you can name it with today's date and then examine the changes written to the different files on a daily basis.

Here's how I do it to the log files stored in the Windows\Logs\CBS directory
    echo Adding dates to the CBS log files
    ren "%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log" "%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%date:~12,2%_CBS.Log"
    pause
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\*.log %windir%\logs\cbs\old

I'm not sure how this would work re-naming directories. But I'm sure that someone here will know how to get it done.

9. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020