How to STOP WAT when in QUEUE ???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HappyCamper, Mar 10, 2010.

1. HappyCamper

HappyCamper MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    1rst a big thanx to MDL and the Activation crew. Win7 has been running smooth as a babies @ss. :D

My System:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    7loader1.5 activation
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Intel Core i7 920
    Crucial 6GB (1333mhz) = 2GB x 3 @ 1066mhz
    Seagate 1TB - main drive
    Corsair 850W PS
    Seagate 1TB (Win7 x86) + 1.5TB (storage)

My Problem:

My hard drive came back from the shop. It died and needed the firmware to be re-flashed. When I put it back into my system unbenounced to me it must have reset the "automatic updates" option.

Originally I had my computer set to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" option.

The infamous (Update KB971033) was in the QUEUE but I never downloaded it.

I saw a notice from the solution center saying that it was ready to restart my computer. I was like ohhhhhhhhhh @#$%^&* !!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect that WAT (Update KB971033) has been downloaded and is ready to install.

WHAT DO I DO ???

Is there any way to find out whats in QUEUE? ... and uninstall whats ready to be installed?

I thought about doing a hard shut-off, ie, turn off the power suppy switch. I have another drive (Win7 x86) that I can boot off to make changes.

.... or should I do a hard shut-off and then re-start in "safe mode" off the same drive.

.... and what changes should I do to avert this eminent disaster.

Thanks way in advance.

HappyCamper

2. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    By default the KB971033 will be unchecked, and therefore NOT installed. Rick click and hide the KB971033. U can checked the update history in add/remove programs for all installed updates.

3. HappyCamper

HappyCamper MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Update KB971033 is NOT listed in Update History.

I havent shut down my computer to install whatever is in the "Install Updates" Queue yet so it should Not be listed in updates yet? At least thats my thought.

As far as WAT being Checked or Not checked, Im going to wait for a few more responses to make sure thats true and its OK to reboot.

This computer is staying on for the time being.

HappyCamper

4. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    If it not listed in Update History, it was not installed. If it appears in the list of updates available, just do what nash58 said and you will be good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    When installing the updates list in windows updates windows, IF what u did is just click the installed updates without doing anything else, then WAT will NOT be installed coz it's unchecked by default. Unless u checked it, which i
    think u did'nt, then reboot your pc and checked the updated list. If WAT is installed then u will have to uinstalled it. This forums has the answer. Searched for it.

6. HappyCamper

HappyCamper MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    I rebooted and it ...........................worked!!!

Thanks a bunch people.

I did a "windows update" and 1033 was in the Queue. I right clicked and HID it. I also de-activated updates for now.

Ive had one too many surprises in the last couple weeks. Ive got a 2TB drive coming in the mail so I can have multiple backups after my drive went dead.

The fun with computers just never stops. Thanks again.

HappyCamper