How to stop YouTube sucking (Windows guide)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jayblok, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    I found this on the internet for people with slow video buffering on youtube,i tested it,it works for me: Source: http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/
    1. Click the Start button, type “cmd”, and right click the icon to ‘Run As Administrator’
    2. You will likely see a UAC prompt, hit “Yes”
    3. The command prompt window will open, this is where you will type in the commands to set your firewall rules
    4. Enter the following command and hit Enter. If it works, you should see a big “OK”.
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="MITCHRIBARYTUBE" dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

Rules can be easily removed too. Just get back into the command prompt in the same way and run this command, hit Enter again: netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="MITCHRIBARYTUBE"

2. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #2 TCM, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Did anyone try this? Theoretically, it's nonsense because he is blocking incoming connections from those networks. When you request a web page, you are making an outbound connection _to_ that network.

Dubious at best.

Edit: For the dimwitted: this criticism is directed at the original author. I'm not stupid enough to shoot the messenger.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I tried it and I saw GOD :D :eekout:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Wow JB gives her to time to post something helpful or could be improved and TCM just disses and uses fancy word like Dubious :rolleyes:...lol

Since when at MDL did sharing and giving become an offence?

Lot's of things here don't work out but to be negative about people trying is not MDL spirit

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Actually, I noticed a marked increase in buffering in my youtube browser.

It doesn't work for all videos, mind you, but it works for enough videos to say "it works".

Thanks, Jayblok. :hug2:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    Works wonders on this 4mb line. Thanks jay!

7. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #7 TCM, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Used the command. I can still tracert any address in 206.111/16 for example. Edit: I can also still ping and access via browser any address in 173.194.55/24.

So there. Single example disproves the whole claim. Isn't science wonderful?

And BTW: 206.111/16 doesn't even belong to Google. So all you're doing is blocking inbound connection from some totally unrelated third party. Enjoy your placebo effect.

First, nowhere did I attack jayblok. I attacked the method, which is not even his. But I guess it's your own character talking again, attacking people instead of their words. And if "dubious" is too fancy a word for you, maybe you ought to sit in school longer.

Then, the spirit at MDL should be to actually try the method and not take it for granted. As you see above, some individuals tried it and claimed success where I tried it and tried to find a disproof for it, which I did. And you don't even have to take my word for it, everyone can try it for himself.

That doesn't speak well for those who claimed to see a difference and is a perfect example of placebo effect. If you want to see something, you see it, even if facts disprove you. You rather attack anyone who speaks against it instead of spending a single minute thinking. Shameful.

Edit2: Even placebo users are getting the idea it might be useless: http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/comment-page-3/#comment-894

"It’s not working any more. I’m back to buffering every few seconds making most videos unwatchable. I tried deleting the rule and then adding it again. No effect."

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #8 timesurfer, Apr 29, 2013
    It's the way you come in all know it all, this sucks when JB was just trying to help with an idea she saw and then to use fancy words dubios implying this was done malevolently

That is exactly what you did and exactly how you spoke

Don't try to get out it, it's how you are all over the site

Brash, not-respectful, and unappreciative

JB was just trying to help, dang...

Maybe try not invalidating everyone's contributions cause they're not as good as computers as you are :rolleyes:

And the spirit of MDL is not being "perfect" like you are, it's being helpful and experimenting with ideas and going the extra mile for others!

Some one should have sat longer in manners school!

MDL is not all about you, it's about everybody ;)

Maybe next time try these words

"Hey JB (Girl), wow that was nice of you to reference this idea but I've done some testing and it appears this method might not be as good as it sounds, but really appreciate the effort and you time posting it."

"Here's the data when testing and maybe this idea might lead to another idea that does work"

"Thanks JB"

But that would acknowledge someone other than yourself existing and that will never happen :roflmao:...lol

9. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    You're still acting like jayblok came up with the idea and I addressed _anything_ at him/her. Nowhere in this thread did I say anything to/about JB.

And again you're on some personal vendetta. I feel like being stalked by scientology. Cut it out and take your retarded laughter with you.

10. bkberghuis

bkberghuis MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks TCM I appreciate your efforts.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #11 timesurfer, Apr 29, 2013
    Nope your incorrect again sir. MDL spirit isn't about who comes up with things, it's about having fun, not being extremely serious and definitely not projecting religions onto others who do not practice that religion. If you want to bash someone's faith please continue to do so in the God thread where there are no original ideas and anyone posting a spiritual reflection of reality must be a con-artist or nutjob :p...lol

People should think of MDL as a Computer kindergarten, since we are here a group of beginners to experts and not everyone may be as expert an computer user as you. When you are ongoingly insensitive and without feeling in your posts people are going to continue to call you on it. MDL is not all yours it's everyone's so show some MDL spirit and get along don't rule others

And it was JB's thread not yours so everything you do say without thinking or feeling is a refection of the OP's thread

Stop owning MDL and share it for that will make a better place for everyone not just yours!

TCM contemplates "big picture" not just his personal universe :rolleyes:...lol

:rolleyes:

12. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #12 TCM, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Maybe if you concentrated more on facts instead of singing Hare Krishna, holding hands and turning a tech forum into a toddler group you'd understand some technical things - as simple as how a computer is making a connection and the inner workings of a firewall - as well as you understand your spiritual beliefs which you dragged into this thread needlessly.

I criticised the method. You asserted it was directed at JB. I say he didn't come up with it so he can't be the target of the criticism. You say MDL is not about who comes up with things?! You are making NO sense at all.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Closing thread Gone completely off Topic.