How to Survive Until Oct 22 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Puhu, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Puhu

Puhu MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Ok,

I have tried Windows 7 and I like it, so I want to start using it, don't want to wait another 2,5 months while the final version is already there.

I tried the OEM trick and it works fine, but I don't want to go that way.

I have an official version of Vista (actually a few) so I am eligible for an update.

7600 seems to be the final build, so.

Now how can I install this as an update to my Vista, and keep using it until oct 22 when I can buy a license without installing Win 7 all over again?

Is re-arming the only option, or there a trail key I could replace with an official key later?

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'd say if you're interested in installing now, then just go ahead and do it.
    If you install tomorrow, your grace period will last you til Sept 6th.
    Your first re-arm will take you to October 6th, and second to November 5th.
    You should have 1 re-arm remaining and plenty of time to get an OEM key after the 22nd.

3. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    You have to rearm. You'll also have to decide which key type you're going to buy(Ultimate, Pro, etc,.) and be sure to install that "version."

You've waited this long, why not just continue to wait?

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I like Vista... I have from the start.
    But Windows 7 is SO much better in every way.
    I know if I was still running Vista, I'd be anxious to upgrade to Windows 7 after trying it.

5. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm sort of from the other side of the fence(tracks or whatever analogy you like). Linux has become my operating system of choice, but that doesn't mean I'm uninterested in what Microsoft or Apple has to offer.

I've setup quite a few machines with Vista, and doing simple things like trying to display file extensions or figure out why a driver isn't working is completely unintuitive. It's less intuitive than linux, IMO.

Then Windows 7 came along, and it had a very nice interface and was touted as being faster than both vista and XP and just as intuitive as XP, so I gave it a shot. I'm very impressed with windows 7, and I actually enjoy using it, much like I did XP when I transitioned to it from 98.

So, as a predominately Linux user, I have no problem partitioning for Win 7 and dropping into it from time to time. In all honesty, I often forget which OS I'm running, which speaks volumes about Win 7's stability.

6. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    How will I survive...

1 word: "tiddleywinks". Boom. :p

j/k. I will just use the RTM I downloaded until I get the copy I pre-ordered. :)
    (unless I can get it on MSDN-AA sooner...)

7. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    US$349 seems like a pretty expensive way to get something 2 months sooner....:eek:....but, hey, its your money!

8. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Remember all downloads are at Seattle time so effectively it will be tonight at midnight.

9. Puhu

Puhu MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Well, I am a Technet subscriber now.

I still have to wait 48hrs for processing or something.

I guess the technet download will be sooner on usenet :)

10. bmb

bmb MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2008
    waiting for usenet link........

11. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Why??

I have Vista and W7 RC running side by side and the differences seem very trivial.

Why is W7 "SO" much better? Just curious.

12. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you really have both running side-by-side?
    Windows 7 runs faster... it copies files faster... it has a better look... its more polished...

13. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    For me its just a service pack for vista. Nothing that new, but it does look alot more like macosx.

For me as long as games work better in 7 than vista i will be happy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes

I don't observe any difference in speed. Maybe it's faster in benchmarks but it hasn't been anything I've noticed in everday use.

Yes, it's a tad more polished but still looks very similar to Vista.

What I really don't understand is the hate for Vista and love for W7??

15. Toff

Toff MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    #17 Toff, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    I suppose it goes like this.
    Vista is released. People get excited and install it. They try to find Vista drivers with no success, so they install XP ones and get BSODs. They get upset, reinstall Vista, install Daemon Tools or Alcohol and get BSOD again. They get really upset, but decide to reinstall it again, being very careful now, only to find out Vista works very slow on their old PCs. They get really pissed off, go back to XP and start claiming that "Vista sucks! XP rules!" everywhere and never install Vista again.
    Few years later, Win7 Beta is released. Those users has since upgraded their PCs and get excited again, giving Microsoft a second chance. They learn that Vista drivers work with Win7, so they install them and, voila, they really work! They install current version of Deamon Tools or Alcohol and, bam, it also works! They try to work with Win7 and, wow, it's fast and pretty!
    As a result: Win7 rules, Vista sucks, XP was great and is the most successful OS Microsoft ever released.
    The end.

16. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #18 HotCarl, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Everything runs faster on my PC in Win7 than in Vista and XP. Startup, shutdown, copying files, opening programs, closing programs, opening the control panel and properties dialog boxes, logging in and out...everything is faster. I don't care what benchmarks say, I only care about what I observe on my system, and on my PC _everything_ that is meaningful as far as use of the OS goes is faster under Windows 7 for me. Additionally, memory management and multi-core load balancing seems way better for me as well while running Win7. Things run so much smoother... :)

17. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    I confirm - I installed on my friend's rig Vista x64 a few weeks ago (I use Win7 on all my machines since a year or so). He has a quite powerfull setup with 3 gigs or ram and a quad core, and when I first saw Vista starting up I thought that there are definitely bad sectors on his HDD (it was so darn slow compared to Win7).
    After serious tweaking Vista was snappy, but I spend quite some time on disabling unused features/ services etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    You're the only one I've seen who says Windows 7 isn't noticeably faster than Vista.
    Exactly right.. everything feels faster/lighter in 7 than in Vista.

As for all the Vista hate..
    It's ignorant users and people who want to spread FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).
    Again... Exactly correct, though I'd like to add one thing:
    Windows XP's launch was WORSE than Vista's.
    Tons of hardware wouldn't work -- printers, scanners, cameras, external drives, etc, etc, etc -- the only difference between XP's launch and Vista's launch was back in 2001, not everyone and their mother was online and blogging.

But it should be noted that the problems with XP and Vista were the fault of the HARDWARE VENDORS and not Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't make specific 3rd party drivers, they make generic drivers that may or may not work with your specific piece of hardware.
    All those incompatible drivers were the fault of those companies dragging their feet to get drivers out.