How to take ownership of files from another computer?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    My step dad wanted me to copy his docs, files, outlook files, etc, from his work computer to his backup external HDD so I did the backup for him,

but on thew new computer he has at home, if he connects that USB external HDD and tries to access the data it states that he does not have permissions to do so

If he tries to add "Everyone" to the security tab to grant full permissions it says access denied, so what we had to do is to reconnect the USB drive to his work computer, then right click on each folder and choose security tab, add everyone and give full permissions

but my question is, is there a way to bypass this? what if he had lost access to his work computer and the files did not have an Everyone access, how to remove those restrictions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    oh ok, ill try and let u know

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    that worked like a charm bro, thanks a lot! ur awesome

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Heh love that right click extensions have added it on all computers I have haha