How to tell if a Firefox installer is the 32- or 64-bit version.

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by retest, Sep 30, 2017.

1. retest

retest MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I'm trying to develop a quick-and-dirty portable Firefox installer cum updater.

If a firefox installer is drag-dropped or passed as a parameter I need to determine if it is the 32- or 64-bit FF installer.

Any simple way ?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    There is no need to develop a new "bike", it already exists and works well.
    That is, Firefox already has an automatic and manual updater that works with both - with the usually installed Firefox and the portable one. Firefox also detects which version is installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. retest

retest MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I don't want to use (or have to wait for) the portableapps.com portable FF.
    I want to be able to generate and then update a portable that I create. It will have both 32 & 64 bit versions.

I already have a cmd file that does what I want. I want to polish it. And then convert to NSIS or Autoit.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well here running Firefox Quantum b4 works like a charm 64 bit of course :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. retest

retest MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Guys, this is what I want :

I have a cmd/exe that can generate a portable version of FF.
    Assume both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the FF installer are available. (i would not ask at MDL where to download FF installers !)
    If the user drags one of the installer to the portable FF generator, the generator needs to determine whether it is the 32- or 64-bit installer.
    How does the generator do that?

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    If it were converting this into a portable edition it would automatically detect where the default path for the install was originally going to be (had you opted to install).

32-bit C:\Program Files (x86)
    64-bit C:\Program Files

Another method (in the case of Firefox) would be by the installers file name as they would end with either the file name win32 or win64

As far as I know, there is no magic code (via cmd) to tell you what an install has inside until you either extract the install or execute that installer. The above are two basic methods and since it is application specific (to Firefox), they are more than likely.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012