How to tell original Slic 2.1 from that of loaders?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Majestic, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    My new Acer lappy has a Slic 2.1 and activated with Windows 7.
    The certificate is Dell.

How do I know whether it has

1) original Slic 2.1 and then activated by installing a Dell Certificate and key or

2) the slic is from loader?

Thank you MDL.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Download SLIC toolkit and check the SLIC. If the SLIC's not Acer then you've used a loader which has installed a Dell SLIC, this would explained why a Dell certificate activated you too.

Alternatively you could download my application, press uninstall, reboot and then install the correct certificate and serial (which should be Acer).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    That was a fast response :)

Noted with thanks.

4. searchengine

searchengine Guest

If the laptop is "new", then you can check Acer's site for the latest bios update for your laptop model which would most likely contain slic 2.1.

The Slic Toolkit would display your current bios version.

5. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    It is a new laptop Acer Aspire 4738.
    The Slic shows a Dell Slic, so the Vendor used a loader.

I believe if the original bios has a 2.1 Slic the loader cannot over-ride the Acer Slic?

I will ask the Vendor to update the latest Bios for me and see whether it containan original Slic 2.1

6. searchengine

searchengine Guest

Yep ... I would be asking Vendor for an explanation.

According to Acer's site, the Acer Aspire 4738 comes with Windows 7 installed; and the latest bios version is v1.09.

7. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    It is actually the 4738z model. From Acer official website they come pre-installed with W7 Home Premium. Mine (which belongs to a friend) is a Linux version, but the Vendor installed W7U with a crack. I used Daz Loader to uninstall the crack, and Windows return to Trail period, but the Bios still shows the Dell Slic.

I asked the Vendor to update the latest Bios v1.09, but unfortunately it did not contain Slic 2.1. I tried it again at home and the result was the same - no Slic.

Fortunately, I found a successful modded Bios in MDL:worthy::biggrin::D and made a successful update.

For information, my friend bought the computer, which came with only 1 GHz DDR3 Ram:( for the equivalent of Singapore $650 and only 12 months warranty (applicable to Linux version). It was not a good deal as I went to another shop and they have an offer for the pre-installed W7HP and 2 GHz ram at only S$708 with 12 months International Warranty and 3 years local Warranty and Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 thrown in:mad:

I have since added another 2GHz Kingston Value Ram costing an additional S$90.00. Installing Ram in an Acer notebook requires dismantling the whole back casing and I noticed the P6100 Core i5 processor is removable for upgrading purpose.

8. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    Can anybody please advise.

Updating the latest Bios from Acer website fails to obtain Slic 2.1 for the Linux version.

If I backup the Bios from a similar computer which is pre-installed with Windows 7 and then flash this Bios into my Linux system, will the Bios then contains the Slic 2.1?

Just curious.