How to transfer files from unbootable system over the LAN using Windows 10 PE?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bigmammapump, May 5, 2017.

1. bigmammapump

bigmammapump MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    Hello everyone.

I have an unbootable Windows 8.1 laptop whose files I need to transfer to another laptop over the LAN and I wonder if Windows 10 PE can be used to accomplish this task. For some reason the OS DVDs don't seem to boot on that system either so I can't reinstall at the moment although the formatting of one of the logical drives is an option. How can I connect, using Windows PE's console, to the network and send the files?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. bigmammapump

bigmammapump MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    I forgot to mention that the only option (I think) I have is to boot the tools from a USB stick because the DVD drive stops after a while and the screen goes dark indefinitely so I can't get to the recovery console or installation screen otherwise (which is, by the way, very strange). I just want to extract my files from there by any means and reformat the HDD (or part of it) to see if the installation would finally launch from the DVD drive. Since Windows 10 PE is one of possible solutions I had in mind I decided to request for some help in this (appropriate) forum. I couldn't find a place to discuss this issue independently of something Windows-related hence I posted here.

Thanks for the link. It'll come handy (bookmarked).

3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #4 pf100, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    I'd use a linux flash drive myself, but if you want to use PE then either medicat, gandalf or hiren's I guess. It's against the rules to post links to homebrewed iso's but they aren't hard to find.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I use macrium reflect pe rescue for that it is easy to enable network and there is an explorer you can use

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bigmammapump

bigmammapump MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    Can someone please explain the purpose of applying answer files to a Windows PE image when it basically is an incomplete Windows OS? Or are they applied to a full Windows image acquired from somewhere else by means of Windows PE?