How to transfer win 8 key to other pc?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by negk, Mar 7, 2013.

1. negk

negk MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    So remember when microsoft gifted us with free win 8 + wmc a few months back? I got a computer perma activated with it but now i would like to move it to another pc, while i dont mind deactivating the old one. Is there an easy way to do this?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Activating another machine with that WMC key should work by activating the key via phone. But i wouldn´t recommend usage on more than one machine due to it will be most probably blacklisted/blocked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. negk

negk MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    #3 negk, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    (OP)

There are two keys that are shown to me, one for core, one for WMC, dont know which one is product key as its a little confusing. Should i use Microsoft toolkit and use the phone activation through it? How would i deactivate the same key on the old computer to prevent it from being blacklisted?

edit: i tried phone activation through slui 4.exe and it gave me confirmation id, what do i do with it? i havent installed windows on new pc though since i dont know what product key to use so i probably should have done tried phone activation in the new pc instead. I just dont know what product key to use though, in sys properties there is product id listed, but who knows what that is, while toolkit gives me like 3 or 4 id/keys belonging to windows. Im thinking the WMC key given to me by microsoft by email is one i should use as a product key for the new installation you seem to imply it?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Not probably, definitely.

Also note you need a licensed Win8 on the new machine as a precondition. WMC is only an upgrade. Not all distribution channel licenses are transferable! For example, pre-installed Win8 on royalty OEM machines are OEM:DM and bound to that machine.

5. franz99

franz99 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2011
    #5 franz99, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    What about building a pro+wmc ISO file for the installation on the 2nd computer ?
    See this topic here :

xxxx://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/35650-Creating-a-Windows-8-AIO-with-Media-Center-manually
    and then activating it by phone using only the free WMC key (that you have been using a 1st time before February 1st 2013)

I installed several W8 pro+wmc and activated them by phone before the expiring date of the free key.

a WMC key used before that date expiring date should remain valid ?

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    May work if they didn't close that loophole, yet.

7. negk

negk MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    except the keys were meant to be activated before jan 31st, that was what microsoft said. only one i activated which is one im using now, thats why i asked if i can use it for another pc.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It should be without the use of the WMC!! I use 2 Computers with same Product Key, one with and the other without WMC. Works no problems!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    If the key was activated before end of january it stays legit. Teste4d yesterday in one of my VMs with a Retail Win 8 Pro, Pro WMC was activated online flawlessly.
    As said before, it should be possible to use it on another PC, considering phone activation is used in case of a KMS activated Win 8 Pro.
    Usage on more than one machine at the same time can cause the key beeing blocked.

10. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    From what i know - reading the eulas, you may transfer The 8 Pro to an other machine if you remove it previously from the old one, but WMC cannot be transfered. It could be used only in the computer on wich was activated. - That's in the eulas.
    So I think it becames linked to the hardware ( MB ) in the same manner as the old OEM licenses. So if it works to activate on another computer, I'm also courious to know.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's why I didn't was install the WMC on the other machine too! Because both computer the same: same MB, same Graphic, same Memory, same Brand/Size Hdd! Installation on both machine were done the same day too!

Anyway, in real I didn't need the WMC at all on those machines!

12. negk

negk MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    cant do it, tried during installation only one product key worked then phone activation didn't. I don't think its possible or I got wrong keys. the wmc key it says is for additional features only so it didn't accept it during intstallation.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The WMC Key is used after installation as go try to enable available Features for Windows 8. You couldn't use that key during installation!

14. negk

negk MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    was worth a try, I now have no keys that work even though my other pc is running legit windows just fine... which is a waste since im about to make a Linux one soon anyway and see no reason for it to have a windows license.