How to turn server on remotely?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Audiophile1178, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Audiophile1178

Audiophile1178 MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    #1 Audiophile1178, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Hi, i'm wondering if there's some way to turn my server on remotely (from the internet) not through my home network. I'm trying to figure this server out so that I might be able to use this for my work. I know that you can turn off the server from the remote console online (Although the server says it's shutting down but ends up rebooting) but I'm trying to figure out how to do the opposite. Also, how to you tell that the server is activated. There's nothing in there that tells you it's activated like vista.

Thank you for your help!

2. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Humm, this is a theory, can be done this way, Buy a router, enable Remote access for the router, set up your computer to Wake on Ping or LAN

After that once you are at a remote place log into your router, ping your computer, it should wake up/turn on getting the ping

Anyone for more inputs...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Audiophile1178

May 26, 2008
    Thank you for your reply! I wasn't aware that you could do that with a router. I have a TRENDnet TEW-631BRP and don't see anything in the settings that allow me to do this. If you know how to do it with this router or a general idea on how to do this with a router please let me know.

4. Audiophile1178

May 26, 2008
    Thank you for everyones reply. I'm going on vacation for a week so i'll look more into this when I come back. Does anyone know how to check to see if my home server is activated?

Thank you everyone for your help!

5. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Click Start, click Run, type :

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...