How to uninstall preinstalled programs from WIM/ISO windows 8/8.1 image?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by adnanrocks93, Sep 4, 2014.

1. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    If i remove a programs folder from the programs folders in an WIM image file, then when installing the WIM using windows setup, will the program no longer exist or is there remnants of that program that I have to delete (e.g. registry details)?

And if I want to install custom programs, will it be the same process but in reverse (i.e. get all the files and folders of that program and place then in a new entry under the programs folder or is it different?

I have toshiba recovery OEM discs which I have extracted and joined the existing SWM files into a big WIM file.

Thanks.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    welcome to MDL but please do not open a new thread for a new question since this might cause a disaster if everybody did

3. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    The easiest way is to boot image in vm in audit mode, install what you need, sysprep and capture image. In the future please use small search box in the upper right corner of your screen.

4. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    I've got the WIM image, how would I go about booting it in VM player? Do i need VM workstation or will VM player work?

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #5 s1ave77, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Should work in VMplayer :g:. You either need to apply the WIM via WinPE ISO or you can replace the install.wim of an Win 8.1 ISO with your WIM and install it in VM.

To enter Audit-Mode at the Setup Stage where you shall create a user (with password) press Ctrl+Shift+F3, system will reboot and create a temporary admin account.

After uninstalling start %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe, check the generalize option and 'Shutdown' in the drop-down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    I managed to capture the custom WIM and applied it to my other computer however I get the following message during setup: "Windows could not finish configuring the system. to attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer.". This also appears on my reference PC and started ever since I exited audit mode into oobe mode. Any suggestions?

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Did you chose the 'Shutdown' option in sysprep dialog? Did it process the sysprep without errors and shutted down afterwards?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    yes it did process sysprep without any issues