How to uninstall sopcast/ask toolbar?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #1 Hannibal Lecter, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    I must have been less careful, than I was supposed to...

I updated Sopcast and now their toolbar seems to be fixed in firefox, even Advanced Uninstaller (Pro 11)did not get rid off it. What made this a little weird is, that the toolbar did not appear immediately after the sopcast update.
    I updated Firefox to 22 and found that my Wikipedia EN had been replaced by dictionary... and the "manage Search engines" did not allow me to change back to my old set-up. So I re-installed the older version of Firefox again and bang.... there is a toolbar that includes "ask" and "sopcast"

As those "helpful" offers on the internet to install another software to remove the another software are too many, I am asking here, as you guys give reliable help...

Even after uninstalling sopcast itself, after uninstalling sopcast toolbar, the toolbar itself is still there....

(I am using Win 7 ulti)

Thanks.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First I would do a search for the C Drive for that Apps and delete all they found. After that I would start Regedit and do a search again for that Apps and delete all entries of them as well. If in Regedit some is protected, right click on that and chose properties and set permission to full and delete. Maybe it would be a good idea to delete/uninstall Firefox as well. Restart computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Have you tried a restore?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Yes, I did, it is still there.
    It just turned up now, and the restore is back to 4 days ago

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I did a restore to a point, where the old sopcast version is still installed, where I did NOT have the toolbar installed. But, even now, the toolbar is still there, and when I search for it on C, the "open File Location"-click gets me to C/program files/sopcast The toolbar is not mentioned separately, but part of the sopcast application.
    Part of the sopcast software is an "uninstall" application, which of course will not uninstall the thing completely, not even Advanced Installer Pro will do that....

What I can do now is uninstall everything that can be uninstalled, and then search regedit?

Looking through regedit right now I find several entries, but now sopcast is of course still installed.
    How do I do a complete search of regedit (presumably after uninstalling whatever can be uninstalled from the sopcast app)?

6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Im not familiar with sopcast, but did you try looking in and disabling any extentions that may relate to it. You may also be able to right click on the menu border and unclick the toolbar.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The restore point didn't work in many means!

Umninstall the apps, didn't reboot after or they'll back directly. Search the C Drive (incl. Hidden Files and Folder and Protected Operating System Files (Set via View Menu)) for that Apps and manually delete all what is left! Don't reboot! Open Run and Regedit or use Win Key + R and type regedit in command line, press Enter.

Highlight Computer and press Ctrl + F and type the Apps name in Find what and press Enter. Delete corresponding entry! Press F3 to carry on Search and delete all till it shows nothing found. Start the same for the next Apps from top. If some entry are protected, right click on that entry and chose Properties and select Full.

Hope that helps.

8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    These toolbars are pain in .....so I never install them!I happened the same and solution was to reinstall Windows.:D

9. reece394

reece394 MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2011
    Maybe try Adwcleaner which is quite good at removing them.

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #10 Hannibal Lecter, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks...

Thanks, the Ctrl + F was the one I did not know.
    I checked the reg manually through and found several mentions of sopcast, but nothing about a toolbar.
    One of the entries for "sopcast" is

Name: THreading Model
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: Apartment

No matter, what they are called, anything that shows up in the registry-search for "sopcast"... I delete?

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, just delete!

Search for the Apps name only, NOT Toolbar!

Also check under the Hidden folder ProgramData for hidden entries in all subfolders and delete them. And delete the contents of the Temp Folder's too. In Users folder under your login name should be an hidden folder called AppData, check as well for the apps in questions and delete all you find.

12. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    So... it is gone, and stays away, even after re-boot, and even after Firefox update, and re-install Sopcast...
    Thank You everybody

13. nuckyluy

nuckyluy MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    i am also a victim of ask toolbar. It takes over my IE homepage somehow, but i even did not even install anything last month. Luckily i get rid of this nasty browser hijacker with the help of an free antivirus called iSafe free virus removal tool.
    So l would like to share it here to see if it helps^^
    BUt i still can not figure it out that how did ask search appear on my laptop even i did not install anything before?

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I uninstalled the Ask.com toolbar just like any other program from the Control Panel's "Programs and Features".

15. EtoileYuki

EtoileYuki MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2013
    Try adwcleaner.. ^^
    Well, i don't know if it works with Sopcast, but it does for all the ask.com related stuff =)

16. nuckyluy

nuckyluy MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    I've seen too many people complaining this rogue toolbar, can't any one do sth to stop it?

17. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008

Avoid= no download from strange websites or untick all is referring to plugins, toolbar.. when installing

18. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Boy, that escalated quickly :p Fortunately I have the option to refresh, all DESKTOP programs get removed, no more annoying toolbar.

You must be the luckiest guy I've ever come across. That PoS has caused more agony than I can describe, and if everyone were so lucky then this wouldn't be the case at all.

Sadly, no. Legally they're doing nothing wrong. Users are allowed to opt out of installing. It's proliferated by doorknobs who don't read/understand what the installer says. I'm just hoping their toolbar creates trouble for some bored millionaire who takes them to court and rips them into shreds. *wishful thinking*