How to update BIOS without lost BIOS SLIC

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by prescolt, Jun 4, 2007.

1. prescolt

prescolt MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    Hi all..
    if i update news bios,will BIOS SLIC be lost?, if it lost how to backup it and how to use it without remod bios
    thank...:)

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    At almost all bioses it´s not possible to backup, you have to update with new modded bios, cause slic is a part of the modded bios.
    At few AMI bioses (SLIC in FC module) it maybe possible using Asus update.(FC module won´t be updated)

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GmY

GmY MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    FC

Very interesting... i mod my bios, and i updated using Asus Update. Have Asus P5GDC-PRO AMI Bios. Actualy have bios 1008, but if Asus release new version, and i use Asus Update, probably if you right, the SLIC remain on FC ?

GmY

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  5. GmY

GmY MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    mm...:confused: I updated mod-bios using Asus Update, but now have SLIC... and Vista is activated...Exist any problems about this ? The best way, for 100% mod, is to reflash bios using dos version ?

Thanks

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    There are no probs.

You have modded your bios by inserting slic-data into FC module and flashed with Asusupdate? Sure?

If that´s right, asusupdate flashes FC, too. And slic will be gone definitely after flashing new (unmodded)bios. And there is no way to keep slic at all.

Hmm, please confirm...cause article linked above says that asusupdate remains FC module!

Strange.....maybe asusupdate checks slic-data in FC...... simply the best is to try again with if you have got new original bios........there is a chance to remain your activation.

Yen

7. GmY

GmY MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    Very strange...

I use the GKend tools to mod my bios, and i flash first time using Asus Update, i reboot PC, but Windows say "30 DAYS....." i reflash another time, reboot and Windows now "ACTIVATED " very strange, but 15 min later, using ACPI Scope, i view and i find the SLIC table and all value is OK.

I'm not sure at this time AsusUpdate not write FC module.... otherwise is it not explained all this...

What do you think ?

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Gkends tool amislic inserts slic table into 1b module.
    Conclusion: (just checked your original bios)

original has no slic already, no FC module
    Asusupdate lets FC untouched. And in your case it´s sufficient for flashing
    Your slic will be gone after updating, definitively
    Your mod hasn´t got a FC module.

Now it sounds all logical to me.

Your bios cannot be modded with replacing FC module (cause original has none). So you will lose slic at any further update (as almost all bioses).

And asusupdate doesn´t update FC module.

You may say: Why not adding a new FC module with Slic in it? Slic stays after Asusupdate. Right...but in this case you have to point in RSDT table (in 1b module) to slic address. If 1b module is updated the needed pointer is gone, too.

Yen

9. prescolt

prescolt MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    does FC module can be used for all model motherboard asus with AMI BIOS ROM

10. chenxuwen

chenxuwen MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2008
    ASUS UPDATE flashes the whole bios no matter what

This is true.
    I am currently using P5Q PRO 1306 MODDED.
    If I flashes P5Q PRO 1306 UNMODDED, then VISTA become unactivated!
    If I flashes P5Q PRO 1406 UNMODDED, then VISTA become unactivated!

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes this is true! A SSV3 mod will ALWAYS loose its activation, a real (original) FC mod will remain it.

AFAIK those 'pure' FC bioses aren't made anymore by ASUS since they have revised the SLP rule at bios.