How to update not upgrade to 22H2 with TPM off?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Tazgrump2, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Tazgrump2

Tazgrump2 MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2013
    #1 Tazgrump2, Oct 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    1. MediaCreationTool downloads the old version of Win 11 22H1 Using ISO mounted does not allow you to get past TPM requirements. I have an Opencore dual boot Hackintosh so I did not want to turn it back on even temporarily as Open Core and the Mac OS do not play well with secure boot and or TPM.
    2. Upgrade from same is not pulling 22H2.
    3. Making an ISO from MCT is the old version, New Iso mounted failed to proceed due to TPM requirements.
    4. Registry edits to fix checks do not override the check for TPM from the mounted ISO.
    5. Using Win 11 Boot and Upgrade Kit to Modify Wim works with fixed ISO although "Installing Windows Server" shows during the update, although a Dialog box asked; If I want to keep all my files, and my OS, and then a second dialog box asked; what version of Win 11 I wanted, (selectable options), so I chose Pro. Still, It said "Installing Windows Server" at top of the progress window. Is this normal?? A bit unnerving...
    6. If Rufus is used in creating an install media (with downloaded 22H2) without the checks, can the contents be copied after completion to a folder on the desktop and the Update then started from "Setup" to get past checks for future 23H1 and 23H2???
    7. Is there a better way to streamline this upgrade hindrance to be overridden?
    8. Yeah I know, to turn on TPM in bios temporarily, and then use the F key for Boot choice, and chose Windows Boot Loader instead of Open Core, and use a standard mounted ISO with "checks in place" for the update, Not what I want! Note: 22H2 Update is now NOT appearing with TPM off vs 22H1 which was NOT blocked.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Oct 7, 2022
    The title of this thread is a bit confusing, what do you mean by update not upgrade to 22H2?

The registry hacks are meant for boot.wim index:2, so only work for installing from boot.

For ISO upgrades you can use the boot and upgrade fix to enable the ISO (this will also fix the ISO for clean installs from boot) or https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/dynamic-windows-11-setup-tpm-bypass.84063/ (when this script is used you can upgrade by WU too) to emulate server setup and bypass the requirement checks.

Yes it shows server in the titlebar of setup, no harm in that, it's just one of the easiest ways to get the job done.

3. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    #3 Tazgrump2, Oct 7, 2022
    (OP)
    1. I figured it was not working on the proper .wim.
    2. The 22H2 cumulative is an update when pushed through WU. If someone wants a clean install this is an really a upgrade. Similar to what I tell people with free antivirus, "always update" never upgrade...
    3. Thanks for the "Server" clarification.
    4. No answer as to why the MediaCreationTool does not download the latest ISO other than it has not been updated yet by AveYo?

4. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    Update: I found answer;
    batt said:
    Can Universal MediaCreationTool be used on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621/2.1 (PC) 22H2?
    Creating 22621 media is not yet supported, but it's coming soon.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So, you meant to say how to update a 22H2 install? Simple hotfixes don't check for the requirements, once win 11 is successfully installed then updates will install without any extra needs required.
    A clean install is not an upgrade.
    It probably now does support 22621 but maybe he didn't update the info at the OP, the requirement bypass options i mentioned work with all ISOs.

6. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    Do you say a 22H2 update should show on any machine with Hardware Activation, even if secure boot and TPM are turned off? And I was just not patient enough... Eventually, it would have appeared?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Oct 7, 2022
    Hardware activation? You mean HWID? Not related, as i said, simple hotfixes for build 22H2 will be offered on any system already running 22621.

If you mean why isn't 22H2 not offered on WU, only a few reported it was offered on their systems, on my 22000.1042 install on supported hardware (only secure boot is not enabled) it is not offered yet.

8. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    It's time to get used to the fact that major updates do not become available to everyone at once. In particular, the current update should be expected all month. This is due to checking the compatibility of equipment and other reasons. This is assuming that Microsoft does not release details of the distribution suspension.

If you want to force a system update, I recommend doing it through the official ISO image. Thus, you will immediately download the necessary files, and "Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd" will allow you to run the installation from a running system bypassing restrictions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    I used that method and Forced as you noted before posting. I used HWID activation for the build I forced. I am building a brand new machine, which is dual boot as well, so Secure Boot and TPM must remain off.
    I redid my current ISO flash with a new 22H2 download and then used Rufus to remove checks, I did not see the circling Ants change to a circling "Lightsaber" until two updates were offered in WU after the initial install. This is when I noticed "There was a major change" in checking the build version after checking activation with MAS 1.6. I realized were are in October, when the 2nd Half of Cumliatives is released. So I went back to my main machine and manually checked, 22H2 not showing, so I went for the force, hence the discussion above. Since I have never had to force before things seem a little odd but in this case, it is just patience unless I want to extend my Insider Account to these machines for the newest builds. Since they are pc/mac machines, NOT going to happen, as Windows does have a tendency to bork Mac OS Drives with Opencore unless the owner practices control; over updating.