How to update to Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ramkumar, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ramkumar

Ramkumar MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi,

I wish to update to windows 8.1 from Windows 8(KMS activated + WMC key provided by microsoft).

Will it be possible to update via store or any other alternatives?

Thanks!!!

2. Ramkumar

Ramkumar MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    What key you are referring to,i have the WMC key alone if i had Windows 8 key then i would have upgraded via windows store.
    Update shows up in store for me but just wondering what will happen if install win 8.1 via store.

Thanks!!!!

3. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    KMS activation and update showing in store? Weird. Update if you can. Let us know how it goes from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ramkumar

Ramkumar MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    It is KMS activated and upgraded With WMC keys.
    I will try and update if i'm able to install successfully.

5. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    That was the route I went down - and it updated just fine.

6. eydee

eydee Guest

There are lucky people and there are who have issues after updating. As a general rule, if it doesn't kill you, get an iso and make a clean install. That's more likely to work fine.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You can download the 8.1 update using an 8.0 pro activated with KMS, then adding a retail WMC key, but it won't be activated after upgrading.
    You will need to probably use phone method after upgrading, and that might not work since the data.dat has installation ID of KMS activation for PRO.

Yes, I've tried it.
    I've heard that people using a retail data.dat swapped 8.0 with WMC phone activated have their activation intact.

8. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I wonder what's so complicated.

I used 8 Pro (MTK activated). No update from store. I flipped off M$ and got hold of an ISO of 8.1 Enterprise. (You're in a forum, don't ask where I downloaded it from)

I put it on a flash drive, started the setup.exe and upgraded. One hour later, I was playing around with my new 8.1 Enterprise. No hassle, no programs deleted, zilch. Activation was an issue but heldigard's KMSpico (also the periodic updates from the forums) addressed that in less than a few minutes.

It couldn't get easier than that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Ramkumar

Ramkumar MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks guys i should try it then

10. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I thought you'd have finished by now:eek: What are you waiting for? Dive in! :p

11. Ramkumar

Ramkumar MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi,

I have updated to windows 8.1 pro with media center without any issues from Windows 8 pro with media center from Store update.

Thanks for your support guys!!!