How To Update Windows 8.1 Using Latest Windows 8.1 ISO(DVD)?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by st_7, Jan 20, 2015.

1. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I've a Windows 8.1 PC which hasn't been updated for more than 6-7 months, few days back I've downloaded latest Windows 8.1 ISO(with Update 3 or whatever it is called). Now instead of updating the current system online, I would like to use the downloaded ISO(or burned dvd containing it) to apply updates. Is that even possible with(in) Windows?.

Note: I don't want to use Windows Setup & go through a upgrade (installation) process. I just want to apply updates just like it is done using windows update(online) but using latest ISO(dvd), presuming it is possible.

2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    AFAIK no, you have to use windows update or tools like windows update downloaders, the iso is for fresh install or upgrade
    wont let you install single updates

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I can confirm what scandal1981 already told: what you want to do is NOT possible.
    You have two alternatives, either use WU or Updates Downloaders.

4. eab

eab MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2015
    Why not? :confused:
    It would be the easiest way to install the updates.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If I understand this correctly, you're willing to download a newer iso, just not willing to go through the setup process to use it.
    I'll just stop you there. Run wuapp.exe and check for updates and save yourself the headache of this line of thought.
    The answer is no. There's no way to circumvent changing all your settings and avoiding the setup process if you want to use an offline image.

6. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks to every one for confirming that there is no way to update Windows 8.1 offline(using an ISO or DVD). I guess I've to use Windows Setup to upgrade.

No Murphy, I've already downloaded the latest ISO(otherwise would have gone through the normal update process).