[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    Just checked again and the system edition was Win 8 Core. So I assume I'm limited to that edition for W8. What about W10 (Home/Pro)?

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    For win 8 core you will get win 10 home which I don't suggest at all.Minimum win 10 version to use is pro.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  4. benik3

benik3 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi.
    I was also successful to upgrade win7 Pro to win10 Pro 1903 :)
    Just for the first time Win10 didn't activated and GenuineTicket.xml was deleted from the folder. So I again copied it and again restarted and voilá :)

5. tresspass

tresspass MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2016
    complete newbie here looking to upgrade from kms version of windows 7 professional sp1
    but this forum is a bit overwhelming as i'm not familiar with all the lingo like iso image and clipsvp and genuine ticket
    and kms.
    i had someone else install the kms windows torrent file.

my question is how to i upgrade for free from my version of windows 7 professional to windows 10 (explained in simple man terms please)

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    KMS activated 7 sku's don't get a HWID by the gatherosstate.exe or by the full upgrade, it needs to be DAZ (OEM) activated or by key or slic/cert/oem:slp key.

7. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #2087 johnye_pt, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    If by this you mean your Windows 7 was activated using KMS, legal free upgrade to Windows 10 is not possible.

So, what Enthousiast meant was, you need a Windows 7 Professional SP1 legally activated either with a key (usually sticked to the computer/laptop) or with a program called DAZ Windows Loader (from this forum, not some obscure page which will CERTAINLY be a virus). Only then you'll be able to do a free upgrade to Windows 10 using a CD or a USB flash drive.

8. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    Ok, so, I am not a tots newb, but with the win 7 OEL deadline approaching, I want to start working on upgrades. I think I have used KMS in the past, although I am sure I can find this DAZ loader you mention. But is there a “step by step” do this, do that type of guide for this? I think the person you quoted here would benefit from that as well, along with likely many others. I am on a phone though, maybe once I get to a PC I’ll have better luck searching. But any help you or anyone can provide would be awesome!

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2089 Enthousiast, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    DAZ Loader INFO: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/windows-loader.39/
    DAZ Loader DOWNLOAD: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464/

Install win 7 Ultimate or Pro, activate by DAZ Loader, make sure that at least there are no red exclamation marks in device manager, LAN is important.

Now either upgrade to 10 Pro OEMRET (consumer ISO), or follow the instructions from the OP (first post of this thread), or:

Run gatherosstate.exe on the DAZ Loader activated install, save the genuineticket.xml to the root of an USB drive, clean install win 10 Pro OEMRET (consumer ISO) and run these commands in an elevated cmd:
    Code:
    clipup -v -o -altto x:\
    x being the driveletter of the USB containing the genuineticket.xml

10. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    Awesome! I will have to try it out on my test bench today! Thanks a bunch!!!

Also, I assume this will gain me a genuine copy of Win 10 that I can then associate to a Microsoft account if I wanted?

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, you should be able to link the Pro DL/HWID to your MSA, it's not needed though (and save a copy of the ticket on another safe place, just in case).

12. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    Will that ticket allow me to install the OS on a new machine later? Just trying to learn how this all works.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, the ticket is hardware bound, only usable on the hardware it's generated on.

14. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    Damn. Thats why I would want to to tie it to my microsoft account. From what I understood, you can transfer that key to another set of hardware. I could be wrong though.... But I seemingly did that in the past. Maybe I just got lucky and the microsoft gods didn't get upset with me.

I swapped boot drives between two machines.

Is that expected behavior, or was I just lucky?

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2095 Enthousiast, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    The linked HWID can be used to transfer the activation to new or changed hardware, by running the activation troubleshooter and using the MSA.

Since we have HWIDs for over 4 years now and all the latest HWID developments, i never used a linked hwid.

ps, i recently swapped a locked ssd from a laptop with a ssd, containing a hwid activated enterprise install, the os was not activated anymore, when i put the ssd back in it's original pc, the hwid activation was instantly back.

16. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    I... am confused. What exactly do you mean by "Since we have HWIDs for over 4 years now and all the latest HWID developments, i never used a linked hwid"? Do you mean you don't even bother using an old install on new/different hardware and you just roll yourself a new key (somehow?)?

I guess what I am trying to understand here is say I want to "bank" a few win 10 pro keys for use on systems down the line. One perfect example that happened to me 2 year, I had a win 10 install on my HTPC, it did an update, and after the update there was no way I could figure to recover that drives install/key. It nuked itself hard, I couldn't even pull the key off of it via popping it into another PC and using some tools I found to try and recover the key.

I have a test bench I use for "fun" things like this win 7 > win 10 method, and I would like to be able to bank myself a few keys for future events when a win 10 nukes itself again, as it inevitably will (most of my machines were rolled up from Win 7 when Microsoft launched win 10, and those keys are long lost to time as they were prior to myself worrying about such things). But since I will be using my test bench hardware for that, I don't want that key to be bound to that hardware.

Or.... is there just a much more simple way to go about getting win 10 on a machine?

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Once a hwid is generated and established on a system, it will re-use that hwid at every clean install, as long as the hardware isn't significantly changed (mobo).

You won't be able to "bank" hwid's, the keys used are generic for all hwid's for that sku all over the world and won't work without the matching ticket.

18. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    Is the first quote not a method I could use? I guess I am just confused. If I log into my microsoft account on the newly set up machine and tie that key to my MSA (Microsoft account? just making sure I have my acronyms correct), would I not be able to later try and assign that key to a PC running "changed hardware" via the activation troubleshooter?

Also, thanks for taking the time to explain this to a noob. I am very much appreciative!

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    As far as i have seen some users,who were signing in with their MSA (with linked hwid) on other hardware, the original hardware was not activated anymore, till they used the troubleshooter and then the other hardware was deactivated (never tested it myself).

20. LIGISTX

LIGISTX MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2016
    That would be my intended use case, I think. I guess all I can do is try!

Thanks again!