[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windows123

windows123 MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2013
    #2261 windows123, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @windows123 non of this is related to the topic of this thread.

Techbench doesn't provide officially released Business ISOs, only for Insider Releases, for 19041 it's just a matter of time that they will release it officially.

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    @Enthousiast, I've made my life a ton easier with all the people constantly nagging me about windows 10 every other week, by simply directing them to use MCT.
    For some unknown reason, most can navigate the MCT UI and select their version, architecture and language and create an ISO or do an upgrade in-place,
    but when presented with forum direct links, uupdump, svf's, esd converters ("press what?"), even microsoft's official page with the user-agent change to get ISOs - their brain simply shuts down!

@windows123, why don't you just get MediaCreationTool.bat, run it, click 1909, select your language, edition Windows 10 Enterprise and x86 or x64 and then click Create ISO?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. windows123

windows123 MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2013
  5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #2265 AveYo, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Is LTSC, that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread and it's clearly explained how to get that LTSC iso by eval > full svfsfx, in my post.

I would recommend to first start carefully reading and learning how all works, taking baby steps.

Atm you bounce all over the forum, and not really showing you have any idea about what you're doing.

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Other than domains being blocked while microsoft being whitelisted everywhere, idk - it beats me.
    People are weird, and still quite phobic when it comes to computers.

8. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
  9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  10. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    gatherosstate.exe does not execute.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    gatherosstate.exe does not display anything, it is silent. The GenuineTicket.xml should appear in the same directory, after a while. If it doesn't appear, the system might not be regarded as being Genuine.

12. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    I did the Windows 10 upgrade online from Microsoft (took forever!). My gatherosstate.exe file was still on the desktop after the upgrade, so I executed it. It gave me the "Genuine" badge. I immediately shut the computer down and wiped the hard drive. I proceeded with a fresh Windows 10 Pro install with no internet connection per Post #1. I dropped the badge in the GenuineTicket folder, shut the machine down, restored the internet connection, restarted . . . and . . . BAM! I'm activated!

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you did the full upgrade, then there is NO need for gatherosstate.exe to be ran.

The HWID is established during the upgrade and is now bound to the hardware, so every new fresh install of the same SKU on that same system will get HWID activated by itself.

Running gatherosstate is only needed for when you DON'T want or can do a full upgrade.

14. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    After I ran the online upgrade, Windows 10 was NOT activated. Had black wallpaper on the desktop . . . usually a sign you aren't activated . . . and when I checked the activation status, it said "No Product Key." There was also no option to remedy the issue. That's when I executed the gatherosstate.exe that was still on the desktop (after trying to execute the file while in the Windows 7 environment). That engendered the "Genuine" badge. Once I got that, I shutdown the machine, wiped the hard drive, and proceeded with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro pursuant to the instructions found in Post #1. Now I get a message saying that "Windows is activated with a digital license."

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik we know, only 10586 gatherosstate can generate a working genuineticket.xml on a non activated 10 and can't be applied without the use of a MAK key.

Are you sure you were online when you performed the upgrade, because only then the activation will be established, as soon as you connect the device to the internet.

16. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    I have no clue what a MAK key is, I can only tell you what I did, and report the results. The version of Windows 10 from which I extracted the gatherosstate.exe file was 1803.

Yes I was online when I did the online upgrade via Microsoft's website (it took about 14 hours to complete). And again, after the online upgrade, Windows 10 Pro was NOT activated. Once I got the genuineticket after the upgrade, I saved it to a thumb drive, shut the machine down, and wiped the harddrive using Diskpart. I then reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (version 1803) with no internet connection. I did not check (and I wish I would have) to see if Windows was activated after the fresh install. Rather I followed the instructions in Post #1 and copied genuineticket to the GenuineTicket folder. Then I shut the machine down, plugged in the internet connection, and restarted the machine. After the restart I was activated.

17. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    #2280 Jimmydafreak, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    One other thing to add. When I installed Windows 7 Pro, I was unable to find an AMD driver that worked for Windows 7. Thus I had a glaring USB 3.0 error in Device Manager. After the online upgrade, I was getting an error message because AMD was not configured correctly. I downloaded and installed the correct Windows 10 driver from the manufacturer's website, but the error message persisted. After trying to install the correct driver didn't remedy the error message, I ignored it knowing a fresh install would fix the problem - which it did. Not sure if this is the reason I was getting the "No Product Key" message after the upgrade.