[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  2. ffsletmein

ffsletmein MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2020
    Thank you very much for the response and apologies for more incoming questions. So I assume I could have found that link in the "20H1" thread under downloads as that looks like the latest release?
    If i get that iso on a bootable USB and install, is there an option to keep old files in a "windows.old" folder, as there was in the W7 install process, or is formatting the whole boot drive the only option?
    I would be coming from an updated W7 ultimate system that's activated by DAZ loader - is there a version of that tool for W10 or should I run something like kms_vl_all which seems to be the preferred activation method here?
    And the last question is about windows update - does it still work as it did in W7 or do you need to download and install updates manually, which I assume has something to do with the "UUP file" stuff?
    Thanks again.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    For keeping this as simple as possible, Yes.
    No need for a bootable USB for upgrades, just extract or mount the ISO in the running windows and run setup.exe from its root.

For proper clean installs (by booting from the installmedia) it will never create the windows.old folder because a proper clean install will include a reformatting or repartitioning of the systemdrive.
    Though when you select the existing windows partition it will create the folder but that's not the proper way for a clean install.
    This means you are planning to do an upgrade and an upgrade from an activated win 7 to 10 (home, pro +N) will still give you a free HWID for 10.
    WU = WU, still the same.

4. ffsletmein

ffsletmein MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2020
    Awesome, thank you for the extremely helpful information!

5. mregdub

mregdub MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2015
    #2305 mregdub, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    I went through all of the steps outlined on p. 1, and when it came time to activate w/Internet, I got the error msg that no product key was found on my device. I double-checked the path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\, and the .xml file was still there. Did I possibly miss something along the way, or does this method no longer work? Thanks for any input

Edit: I just realized there is 1 step I missed that maybe could have affected the license? After installing W7, I didn't update any "missing" drivers, which would possibly could have included the ethernet adapter. I read in another forum here in MDL that an ethernet change could deactivate a W10 activation. Could this be the problem? If so, what's the best way to fix it - start over, or is there something better? Thanks

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Google for massgravel and run the cmd, you will endup with a genuine hwid.

7. mregdub

mregdub MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks. How do I know I'm downloading a legit app, w/out viruses, etc? The one I found is from Github, does that sound right? (not sure if I'm allowed to post links in here).

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If it's from massgravel github it's the correct one by windowsaddict.

9. mregdub

mregdub MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Enthousiast, worked like a charm!

10. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Interesting. How does that work?

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use a VM.

12. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    does this thing really work? is this the new "daz loader" for windows 10? :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's been invented about 4 years ago, here on mdl.

14. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    holly sh$j.. im outdated as hell then.. ok, so this script can make the procedure for the hardware id obsolete? i saw that the script has an option to activate windows 10 with hardwareid, without kms.. is it correct or did i read and dont understand it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    Yes.

16. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    thanks guys.. ill put it on my backup and mark the thread as favourite.. :)

17. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    A direct link to a specific article would have been more useful... 2 links to websites in the 1st 3 posts looks like SPAM to me...

18. blero

blero MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello,
    I see everybody can now talk freely about HWID tools, massgravel... It wasn't possible one year ago, I'm curious to know what changed ?

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Probably allowing at least some correct info to be shared about it.

20. blero

blero MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    You mean MDL moderators are allowing more than before ?