[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    I see. Does Windows transmit other things to a remote server? Like… everything you do, or at least some things.

One thing that I found very strange is that Windows 10 can show you Facebook notifications, even if the browser is closed. That means that Windows “knows” your Facebook activity.

Are there discussions about Windows privacy in this forum? Do you consider it private?

I need Windows to work with some photo and video programs. But I think I am going to install Linux in other partition, for Internet, writing and other simpler tasks. I have never used Linux, I have to try it.

2. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    In my experience, it's much easier to run Linux in a VM than to multi-boot. Microsoft has a really bad habit of messing up multi-boot setups. YMMV

3. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    @ohenry Thank you for the comment.

I once had two Windows in different partitions and I just selected the system at the beginning. What would be the problem? Or is it because Linux can't see the files created by Windows and vice versa?

Should I install a virtual Windows in Linux? Someone recommend me this and I just saw a brief video about this. In this case, can I activate the virtual Windows with MAS?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This is about gatherosstate and clipup the ticket, please stay on the topic of the thread.

5. echo

echo MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2017
    Does this method still work for Win 7 Pro -> Win 10 Pro in a VM?

I will need to use VM because Win 7 is unsupported on my hardware

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can just as easily directly install 10/11 and use one of the two tools, i hint at in my sig, create a HWID and save you a lot of trouble.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    MAS 1.5 on github does it nicely

8. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks, I may give it a try on a NUC (new old stock) I bought last Sunday. It's being sent by mail (OMG!) on a slow horse to nowhere. Supposedly it will get here next Tuesday! I haven't played with Win 11 yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    A friend of mine asked me help getting Win 10 into his very old Vista laptop. I upgraded it with an SSD and in the process noticed it has a Vista Pro license key sticker on the bottom. Would a Vista Pro key work ? I was thinking about fresh installing Win7 Pro, activate with DAZ Loader then use the tutorial on the OP, but maybe downloading the latest ISO from mickeysoft (Windows ISO downloader....) and using the Vista key works directly (?)

10. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    It's an x86 laptop BTW... (no x64)

11. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    vista upgrade to windows 10 not works !

use clean methode :

install windows 10 clean install

activate with massgravel ( generate hwid activation same as windows 7 upgraded to windows 10 )

search massgravel on google last version 1.7

choose education sku ( similar to enterprise ) to have full control

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Massgravel does work well

13. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    Right, I'll give that a try...
    Thanks!

14. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    It worked! Wohooo...:) Thanks a lot. The only problem I had was that it took ages to get out of the black screen with the blinking cursor, was starting to think it had hanged...

15. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Glad you were successful. ;)

16. mwnn

mwnn MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks for the author(s) of massgravel/mas. The tool simplifies the install process even more!
    This site is still a fountain of knowledge.

I was already familiar with the process of installing Win7/8 and generating a ticket - and then installing Win 10 but wasn't sure whether that method was still valid for Windows 11.
    (IIRC wasn't this method meant to be a limited time offer for disabled/accessibility users?)
    Of course before that we had/have Daz's great loader for Win 7.

Personally I've been using Debian/Ubuntu for a few years so I'm well out of the loop.
    Wine and Proton are able to handle virtually all Windows games now.
    And LibreOffice, CUPS printing, k3b, etc can handle most of the things I'd generally do.
    It's nice to be able to easily compile things from source code too.

I expect they might abolish any need for a retail license for Windows 12; it's really quite pointless - hasn't been enforced for years. On any new purchase it all gets built into the motherboard now anyways.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Windows is "free", they now get their money by online services and advertisements.

And only for oem systems the MSDM is used, since win 8.

18. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Not for years, since before windows was a thing MS leveraged what they officially called "piracy" to spread the DOS userbase (for personal usage and for very small business entities), then windows just followed and used the same technique.

IBM followed a different approach with OS2 (at least in the first years), they hoped everyone would really pay for it. And history proved that MS approach was the right one. OS2 lost it's battle with Windows 95 in matter of few months, and never recovered even when IBM started to distribute OS2 for free massively.

19. PTCruiserGT

PTCruiserGT MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    Is this still working now that MS seems to have finally closed the loophole allowing free upgrade/activation of Win10 from Win7?

20. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Not sure but you could try massgavel’s script from GitHub if you need to activate.