How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    I see. Does Windows transmit other things to a remote server? Like… everything you do, or at least some things.

One thing that I found very strange is that Windows 10 can show you Facebook notifications, even if the browser is closed. That means that Windows “knows” your Facebook activity.

Are there discussions about Windows privacy in this forum? Do you consider it private?

I need Windows to work with some photo and video programs. But I think I am going to install Linux in other partition, for Internet, writing and other simpler tasks. I have never used Linux, I have to try it.

2. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    In my experience, it's much easier to run Linux in a VM than to multi-boot. Microsoft has a really bad habit of messing up multi-boot setups. YMMV

3. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    @ohenry Thank you for the comment.

I once had two Windows in different partitions and I just selected the system at the beginning. What would be the problem? Or is it because Linux can't see the files created by Windows and vice versa?

Should I install a virtual Windows in Linux? Someone recommend me this and I just saw a brief video about this. In this case, can I activate the virtual Windows with MAS?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This is about gatherosstate and clipup the ticket, please stay on the topic of the thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. echo

echo MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2017
    Does this method still work for Win 7 Pro -> Win 10 Pro in a VM?

I will need to use VM because Win 7 is unsupported on my hardware

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can just as easily directly install 10/11 and use one of the two tools, i hint at in my sig, create a HWID and save you a lot of trouble.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    MAS 1.5 on github does it nicely

8. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks, I may give it a try on a NUC (new old stock) I bought last Sunday. It's being sent by mail (OMG!) on a slow horse to nowhere. Supposedly it will get here next Tuesday! I haven't played with Win 11 yet.