[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If the key gets accepted (for win 10 activation) it's ok.

2. carefully

carefully MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2016
    nice dog

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanks, but i didn't have anything to do with creating her :D

She is the best dog i ever had, and she looks nice too :)

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Dunno, never used illegal keys but msft did want ALL to be able to swtch to 10, so you could just give it a try.

5. duzap

duzap MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2014
    Can I use the Windows 10 installation from my laptop to generate the GenuineTicket.xml file? Or does it only applies to Windows 7 and 8 activated installations?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It needs an activated 7 SP1 (genuine or daz) or an genuine activated 8.1 to generate the valid ticket on.

7. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Hi Gents,

Updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 still works as of today! A friend gave me a Gateway NV53 Laptop her Dad had, but he passed away recently, and she has to clean out his house and thought I could use it for parts. (I fix / upgrade their PCs as I'm a bit geeky.) The NV53 was the slowest thing I'd ever seen that still ran, and she said he was complaining about it for some time. I asked again if she wanted me to try to fix, it but she said they didn't want it back. (Probably too much of a daily reminder of her Dad. It's only been a couple months and they were extremely close.)

Anyway, it's been ages since I had a box I could do whatever I wanted with, so I started to see if I could recover it. I had promised to wipe all of the personal data off the box, and there was nothing I could do with the unit as found. So I took the back of the Laptop and plugged in a spare 2.5" Hard Drive I had lying about. I pulled down all of the Windows 7 drivers from the Gateway Site. I installed Windows 7 routinely and the box seemed to run fine. I installed Prime and AIDA64 Extreme Engineer Edition v5.92.4306 and tested it for 6 hours with no issues.

As the unit originally came with Windows 7 Home, I figured the easiest way to kill two birds with one stone was to try the Recovery Partition install, and bring back the box to the original factory install which would wipe all the personal data off the box. So I swapped out the drives, and did so. Once that was complete, I was pleased to say it seemed to run the same as it would have when new. I figured her Dad must have gotten into some malware from Websites, or email, that slowed it right up. (He was in his 80s).

However, I knew the Box was about 6 years old, and the WD 500 Gig Scorpio Blue Hard drive has an October 2010 manufacture date. So even though I doubt it has many hours on it, there was no wear inside, no dust , nothing => and almost no data either (before i wiped it.); I don't think a WD5000BEVT drive would be reliable enough now for daily use. So I thought about moving to an SSD, and installing 8 Gigs of Ram (it comes with 4) to try to get the most out of the NV53. As everything I own is going Windows 10 Pro, I thought I better make certain it can do that before I invest in new Hardware.

So I ran gatherosstate.exe and got the GenuineTicket.xml file from the restored WD5000BEVT Windows 7 Home drive. I installed Windows 10 routinely onto the spare 2.5" Hard Drive from an USB Thumb Drive I put together. It ran fine, and all of the devices were operational in Device Manager. I installed the GenuineTicket.xml, and after reboot the Windows 10 Home install was validated. So I knew it would work for a SSD, but it was not my standard Windows 10 Pro.

So I went back to the recovered Windows 7 Home install, and tried an Anytime Windows Upgrade on it to turn it into Windows 7 Pro. It worked, so I captured this versions GenuineTicket.xml. This time I installed Windows 10 Pro onto a second spare 2.5" Hard Drive ( I keep a bit of parts around) and installed this versions GenuineTicket.xml successfully into the Windows 10 Pro GenuineTicket Folder. I rebooted but the Activate Windows screen said it wasn't validated to Windows 10 Pro. Grrr....

So I decided to try it with an Ultimate GenuineTicket.xml file, and I went through the routine again to make an Ultimate GenuineTicket.xml file. When (after swapping drives again!) and putting in the Windows 10 Pro drive so I could try the Ultimate GenuineTicket.xml file, I decided (for grins) to check the Activation, and to my surprise it was activated! So it took two reboots (with a network connection) for the validation to occur. I was pleased and I didn't bother installing the Ultimate GenuineTicket.xml file.

I hope this little saga helps at least one person, as this site has been fabulous to educate me. I thought it would be nice if I could give back a little.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

I have old laptop with HDD with Windows 10 installed and activated using digital license. I also have another (new one) laptop with SSD. What is the easiest way to activate Win10 on new laptop? Will one of the following work?
    1) Take out HDD form old PC and put it in new laptop. Then format HDD, install Windows 10 on SSD having hope it will activate by itself
    2) Format HDD, take out HDD form old PC and put it in new laptop, install Windows 7 on HDD, activate, generate GenuineTicket.xml, format HDD again and install Windows 10 on SSD, paste the GenuineTicket.xml

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #1190 Enthousiast, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    1. You can hope but won't work
    2. Why first replace the ssd with the hdd?

You have to establish the HWID for the new hardware, exchanging the drives won't help it, it doesn't hurt too but the HWID still has to be established from scratch either way.

Or you have to link the old HWID to your MSA and transfer it.

10. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

1) Ok, so I will not even try it.
    2) Not replace. There is M2 SSD in new laptop and no HDD. That's why I want to put HDD from old laptop to SATA slot in new laptop :)

I don't really want to link it.

So I guess 2) will work - I'm gonna try it soon.

What if my HDD dies some time later?

11. greekguy80

greekguy80 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    I'm a bit confused here and maybe you or others can help me.

So whatever computer I get will have Windows 7 Professional.

So does that mean I have to windows 10 pro iso to install?

Am I upgrading to windows 10 or formating my windows 7 and installing Windows 10?

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can simply upgrade to 10 and get a free HWID for it or follow the instructions at the OP and avoid upgrading but still get a free HWID for 10.

13. greekguy80

greekguy80 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    I dont want to upgrade as I want to format the computer and put a fresh install of the latest windows 10.

What I want to know is I have Windows 7 on my computer so lets say I come across an ISO for Windows 10 pro.

When I do these steps for HWID does my windows 7 also have to be a pro version to properly activate windows 10 pro or can the windows 7 be a different version?

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    7 SP1 Pro or Ultimate > 10 Pro
    7 SP1 Basic or Premium > 10 Home

15. greekguy80

greekguy80 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    WOW so it really doesn't work any other way?

And this is for that HWID thing you have to do? Again not looking at upgrading.

Thank you.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I would have been able to do 10 systems by now, still not done? ;):D

17. mechanicweb

mechanicweb MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I just upgraded to W10 June update from W8.1 Update 3 VL KMS Activated. After upgrading W10 is still activated.

Though this was done in a VM, I am going to test it on a PC now.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Real upgrade from 8.1 KMS activated works, not the gatherosstate.exe route. If you've selected to keep all files and apps it could still be KMS activated, please run this command in an elevated cmd:
    Code:
    slmgr /dlv