[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Has anyone tried it with KMS-activated W8.1?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The OP states: Does not work on KMS activated installs.

For 8.1 KMS activated installs you only get a HWID when you do a real upgrade using the 10586 aka 1511 iso, next you can clean install the current official build, or upgrade to it.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have bought a new system recently with new motherboard. In windows 10 install, I keyed in my windows 7 pro key and it was activated on welcome.
    I do not know if ISOs beyond RTM/July 2015 generate genuine ticket xml through gatherostate.
    To save my genuine ticket after install, I have to use July 2015 ISO only. Later ISO (1511 onwards) do not generate genuine ticket thru gatherostate.
    Am I doing something wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Inserting the windows 7 key in the windows 10 install will already have activated it.

All client 10 release iso's have gatherosstate on it and it will generate a genuineticket.xml but you already activated your windows 10 with the key for 7, didn't you?

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes activated on welcome screen but only RTM 2015 generates ticket and that too only on 1511/1607. Anyway that is irrelevant since activation is independent of built.
    But it is great that my technet 2011-12 keys still activate a 2017 windows. I needed to input key just once and subsequent installs do not reuire a key.
    Since hopefully a system is not purchased every year, I seem to be fine for some years at least with genuine `genuine'.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    For future use if required. I just needed 1 genuine ticket and that was generated by RTM iso on 1607.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The genuineticket.xml has to be generated on an activated win 7 SP1 or 8.1 install, not on 10 (that only worked for some weird reason on some win 10 IP rs3 builds).

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I did it in 2015 on 7/8.1 but will do it again now for a scratch 7/8.1 or do I now considering my earlier posts?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If the hardware didn't significantly change (mobo), you don't need to do it over again, the HWID is valid for the lifetime of the hardware. And when you link the HWID to your MSA it can be "transfered" to new hardware too.

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I would have linked to MS account except that I do not prefer signing in password every time and all solutions known to me do not work (mainly netplwiz one).
    The hardware changed (CPU, MOBO, RAM) so I did it again. Anyway technet bounty came in handy.

11. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    #1251 metalmilt, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    i used this trick on my laptop and it worked great but on my other desktop it will not activate when i place the GenuineTicket from windows 7 sp1 ultimate with daz loader activation and then place into the windows 10 pro install into the program data area. I first rebooted like i did with my laptop which got it activated but on the desktop it would not activate after a reboot. so i then hit troubleshoot button in the activation window and it says to install windows 10 home and that there is a key on record for the home version tied to the motherboard. I bought the motherboard in this desktop used so i think whoever had it before me must of had windows 10 home tied to the motherboard. is there anyway to get past this to get the pro version? thanks for the help. Been awhile since i been on here. I know i can use a activator like pico ect, which is what i was using before but i figured hell if i can get a legit key then why not try.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You prolly didn't do it correctly on the desktop. Most users forget to keep the install offline and first do a manual reboot, next put the genuineticket.xml at the correct place and next do another reboot and finally you can go online and it will activate.

13. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    oh i wasn't sure because my laptop i left it online and it activated so i just did the same with my desktop. so do i have to reinstall windows 7 again on the desktop and get a new ticket and repeat the steps again except this time keep my internet off and reboot it? thanks for responding. Been awhile since i fooled around with this stuff.

14. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    It's always a good idea to install all hardware drivers on Windows 7 SP1 before creating the ticket. If you do a quick install + loader + ticket, Windows 10 might not activate on the same hardware. Just did it on a newly bought Asus board: installed Windows 7 SP1, used loader to activate, installed drivers from CD, created ticket, did a clean install of Windows 10 and placed the ticket in the correct folder. Nicely activated :)

15. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    well when i hit troubleshoot in the activation window it says there is a key for the windows 10 home version. would this be holding things up from it not letting me get pro? i bought the motherboard used so i think the previous owner had home version tied to the board. thanks for the reply.

Also i did install all the hardware drivers on windows 7 sp1 ultimate before getting the ticket. good to hear you got your new board activated.

16. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Needs an ei.cfg file or an ISO with Pro only to avoid the automatic Core install.

17. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    #1257 metalmilt, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    i got pro installed fine but whoever had this board before me had a legit home version key tied to the board and in the troubleshooter it reads this......

"We found a Windows 10 home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, you need to install Windows 10 home."

Thanks for the reply. I may just install home version since someone bought a key for it whoever had this motherboard before me. This is mostly gaming pc anyway.

18. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Have you tried to install 7 SP1 Professional/Ultimate, create ticket, then install WIndows 10 offline without inserting any key? You can select 10 Pro manually, add the ticket, reboot and when you finally go online, it will most probably activate.

If I'm not mistaken I did that once, win7 home to win10 home, then win7 pro to win10 pro because I wanted the Pro features and both activated successfully. Maybe something changed in the activation process meanwhile?

19. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    #1259 metalmilt, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Not sure what the deal was. I used the pico activator since forever and Daz plus bios mods through the years, then i came back to MDL after a number of years due to taking a break from the tech stuff. i noticed this thread and was like, well that sounds cool and wanted to try it out. This method worked fine on my laptop but the desktop with Windows 10 Pro just keeps telling me to install Windows 10 Home because the previous owner of my motherboard must of bought Windows 10 Home for it and i'm behind on the times and don't have much free time to figure it out like when i was a younger lad. So i just installed Windows 10 Home and it activated with no problem since there was a previous key tied to it already. Good enough for me and got a legit activation for free even if it is just the Home version. This PC is just entertainment and gaming PC for my kid so no need for the Pro Windows 10 but would have taken it nonetheless if i had the time to figure it out.

Thanks for everyone who replied but i'm happy with the Home version. No big deal here. Thanks all!

20. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    There is also a method that is accepted by MS of upgrading win 10 home to win 10 pro using first trial/defaut keys to upgrade and then using retail 7/8/8.1 keys to activate.
    I did it on a new laptop which came with win 10 home.
    After a new 10 pro install, it reverted to 10 home and I had to repeat it.
    But on a second 10 pro install, it stayed at 10 pro. The bottomline is retail 7/8/8.1 keys still work.