[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  2. joshuah418

joshuah418 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2013
    It already had HWID, but didn't know how to reinstall ProfWs so first gathered a genuine ticket, and did a clean install.

but I'll try this process on a whole new device.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If it already had an established and confirmed hwid, it's not a test of getting a free HWID still works, all previously established HWID's will remain valid at re-installs.

4. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    gatherosstate.exe still works, 10hours ago i've established a free HWID by using a daz loader activated 7 SP1 Home Premium install on a new VM and all worked.

6. zajacz

zajacz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    But does creating a new VM actually create a new HWID? I have used VMware Workstation Pro a number of times to create a Win7 VM, activate with Daz Loader, use the gatherosstate.exe method, and then clean install Win10 into that same VM. Just yesterday I created a new VM using a Win10 ISO (no Win7 first this time so no gatherosstate.exe method, just straight to Win10) and after it installed and I checked the activation it said it was not activated which is what I was expecting. There was an Activate button in that activation screen and when I clicked that it said I did not have a digital license or something similar to that which again, is what I expected since I did not go through the Win7, gatherosstate.exe method. I then just rebooted that virtual machine and when it came back on, I checked and this Win10 VM said it was now activated with a digital license. I assume then that the previous VM activations that I had done might have had the same HWID thus automatically activiting this new VM even though I had to do a virtual reboot in order for me to see the activation.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I've tested it with freshly created VM's, installed 10 first, no activation, used the same VM for new win 7 Sp1 install, activated by the loader and either did a real upgrade or the gatherosstate route and all works.

Only if the vm is re-used and it had an already established and confirmed HWID it will get a HWID activation when windows is reinstalled.

But for re-assurance, let me run it on a laptop that only has a MSDM for Home, i will do Pro on it.

ps, today i also established new HWID's for Home (+N) and Pro (+N) on my test system that never had 10 on it before.

8. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    #1429 Krakatoa, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Digital license in vmware depends on uuid.bios string in file *.vmx
    (If you want to back up a digital license, just back up uuid.bios string)
    (if you have digital license, uuid.bios has already been activated)

9. zajacz

zajacz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    But this is what I am talking about. I did not reuse a VM. I created a brand new VM, but again using the same Workstation Pro program on the same desktop computer that I have previously created other new VM and gotten Win10 digital licenses using the Win7 Daz Loader gatherosstate.exe method. And again, it appeared the newly created Win10 VM was not activated but all I did was reboot the VM and it then showed up activated.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I did several tests and none of the VM's get a digitial license by itself. Iirc you can bridge the LAN and the VM will be able to use the slic inside the bios to get a HWID but that also would need some more actions.

PS do you perhaps use an online MS account?

11. zajacz

zajacz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    No, I only use the offline local account. I will try again with a new VM and see what happens.

12. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Still Works
    w7 Ultimate install > Daz Loader to activate > Generate ticket > Fresh install w10 Pro Offline account (not Activated) > import ticket and reboot = Activated

13. zajacz

zajacz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    I guess my bad. Everything does still work as it should. Not sure how that other newly created VM got the Win10 license. Anyways, the Win7, Daz Loader, Win10, gatherosstate.exe method still works fine.

14. acforall

acforall MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2016
    Does the gatherosstate.exe work from win8 oem activated or do i have to install win7 with daz loader first.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At the OP it states, 8.1 NOT KMS activated, so genuine activation by MSDM or key would work. But when a 8.1 MSDM exist, windows 10 will use it to activate windows anyway (if it's the corresponding edition).

16. Morhenian

Morhenian MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2016
    I generated genuine ticket on Win7 installed on MBR partition. Now I'm planning to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode which would require GPT partitions. So my question is will my genuine ticket work after reformatting the drive to GPT?

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It doesn't matter whether you use GPT or MBR :)

18. Morhenian

Morhenian MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2016
    Thanks!

Just installed, activated without a problem.

19. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    The use of gatherosstate.exe in generating genuine ticket from activated Win7 ultimate is still working. I installed Windows 10 Pro in a laptop yesterday.

Thanks to your trick Yen sir!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...