[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    yesterday when i told you that i would report back, at that time i started clean install on new hdd. actual time in my region was around 22.00. but in the installation i skipped setting time zone thats why, it is set to around 18.00
    since it was my nap time thats why i did clean install on next morning on old hard drive but this time i set the time zone correctly.

1. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    Your situation is a complete mistery for me, i don't manage to explain why the activation succeeds when you do a clean install on the old hard drive and fails on the new hard drive. Since HWID has been created, the activation should succeed on the new hard drive as well but it does not for unknown and mysterious reason.
    Can you tell me how you upgraded the first time to win10 pro ? which windows version was installed before you proceed to the upgrade ? win7 pro or win8.1 pro ? how was one of these os activated ? with kms or legit key ?
    were you facing some slowness issue or any other issue while you were using win7 or win8 before the upgrade ?

2. HHSDVT

HHSDVT MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    Did you replace your disk?
    Or just put your new disk to another slot?
    and installed Windows while both hard drives still connected to the pc?

If that the case! disconnect your old disk,
    then install Windows on the only connected new hard drive.

3. @mehdibleu i upgraded to win 10 pro 1709 using the iso inplace upgrade, from win 7 ult daz activated, and i installed 7 only for the purpose of upgrade so there were no issue about performance.
    btw how can you be so sure that changed hdd doesnt void the licence? have you tested it with different hdd?
    @HHSDVT although most time when i tried to activate on new hdd my both drives were connected.but i remember one time i've tried with only new hdd connected. didnt make any difference.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All my HWID's for Home (+N) and Pro (+N) on my main system were established and confirmed on a different HDD (later changed to SSD).
    I also did test it all on 2 of my test systems, used the same method for many systems i serviced and all worked.

And all were local windows accounts, i never use my MSA, only on VM's for the insider settings app to be able to fetch IP releases.

5. thanx for the info, i've no idea how it could went wrong in my system?my licence was linked to msa. probably i'm better off with kms.
    btw thanks everyone for taking part in this discussion. :)

6. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    i have nothing to add from what @Enthousiast already said in his previous post except that i had also changed the hard drive on the same machine on multiple occasions in the past and was always able to have win10 activated automatically with digital license. Again, what is happening in your situation ia really a mistery for me.

Try to do what @HHSDVT suggested in his previous post, try to connect only the new hard drive on the same slot and see what happens.

Otherwise, try to get HWID on the new hard drive the same way you did on the old one, install win7 ult, activate it with DAZ, then upgrade to win10 pro, then do a clean install and see what happens. You should logically have the win10 pro activated autiomatically with digital license.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can simply re-establish the hwid.

8. already did that.
    this time i'll go with this thread guide, and will post here how it goes. thanks.

9. slewpeuke

slewpeuke MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2018
    I already have a windows 10 installation usb made with MS MCT this week, so probably the latest version. Is there any easy way to switch ESD files to the 1511 version so i can update from WIndows 8.1 activated with MTK?

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    To upgrade there is no need for an USB or DVD, just mount the 1511 iso, containing pro, and run setup.exe. Win 8.1 can mount iso's in explorer.

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    He indeed out-ninja'd me. From what i understood in your other post you have the store ESD already, correct? You'll need to use @abbodi1406 s ESD>>ISO converter, it will create a full-blown ISO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    yes, that would be intersting to test that to see if it works.

13. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Yes, iit still works.
    Done today on a new win 7 system.

14. billy bis

billy bis MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    sorry
    why after installed win8.1 and activated, upgrade win 1511 ask me product key?

Thanks to them that will answer

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Please show the screen, iirc, there is an option like this: "i need to reinstall my windows".

16. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    that shouldn't happen.
    are you sure your 1511 iso contains pro version ?

17. billy bis

billy bis MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    i'm not sure,
    can you tell me what version i have to download ?

18. billy bis

billy bis MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    10586.0.160426-1409.th2_refresh_clienteducationn_vol_x64fre_it-it.iso
    this is the version that i have installed