[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    As it seems to have been applied no need to do again :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke that is new for me thx :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    When forcing the apply with:
    Code:
    clipup -v -o -altto path\to\ticket\folder
    it's gone directly after.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you use:
    Code:
    clipup -v -o -altto x:\
    No need for rebooting, keeping the install offline, etcetc....

5. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    #1645 dj831, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Damn! I lost my activation ... :mad:

I have a W10 1511that ran flawlessly 'till yesterday. I wanted to test a Ratiborus tool to test keys (if genuine or not). Sadly, it installed a key I was testing on my computer, and I'm now since in notification mode (next time, I test that kind of stuff in a VM. Yes, I'm a moron).

W10 1511 was activated while W10 was offered for free, in 2016. Since my computer is SLIC 2.1, I activated computer from OEM activation (it's a Dell).

Today, I tried to remove key (slmgr /upk and /cpky), put my genuineticket (dated june 2016) in ClipSVC folder, but nothing happens (genuineticket still here after reboots). I've tried clipup command and it doesn't work. Here's what I get:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>clipup -v -o -altto C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket
    Failed to convert one or more genuine authorization tickets on disk licenses.
    0 licenses converted out of 1.
    First encountered error: 0xC03F660A.
    Done.

(same error if genuineticket is copied in a subfolder of C:\)

If I uderstand correclty, if my computer has no licence, it asks M$ if my hardware is known. Since I changed nothing, there should be no problem.

Sure, I can reinstall my computer, but that, I wanna avoid due to the lots of stuff installed on my computer. It would be easy too to enter a licence key, but I'd like to avoid too. I'd really like to get activation back. If I have to reinstall Windows, it will be seven.

If ever you have an idea, it is welcome! :D

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  7. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    MANY THANKS !!! It worked like a charm :D. I learn something very useful today. I think then that this command is to be used today, to activate W10 from an activated W7, right? If so then, you can activate W10 from W7 forever, despite past date of free activation. Worth a try in a spare computer...

Again, many thanks !!!

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    The command only works for already established HWID. During Setup this key is normally automatically used by default.

9. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    Thank you for sharing this. I am not very familiar with the topic. I ask some questions when it is not clear to me, in case someone can help me.

When I create the ISO, I look inside it and I suppose there should be this "gatherosstate.exe"... And in which folder of C: drive I copy it? Or should I look for an existing "gatherosstate.exe" and replace it?

I double-click the file and a window will pop up to let me save this "GenuineTicket.xml", like a "save as" function or something? Or it creates a "GenuineTicket.xml" somewhere, which I must search in the disk?

Again, thank you. I could try this. And if I fail, I suppose I can install Windows 10 directly and use KMSpico. Is there an incovenience in doing so, or it is just that it is not as "clean" and perfect as this method is?

10. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    In iso image file(assuming 64bit iso) go to windows\x64\sources & copy gatherosstate.exe from there to desktop.When you run it,GenuineTicket.xml will automatically be created on desktop too.

11. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    Thank you, whitestar_999!

12. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    I still haven’t tried the trick. I will do it today.

Do I have to run the ISO from Windows 7 or to create a bootable USB/CD and run it from outside Windows? In the latter option, the Windows 10 installation formats the disk first, doesn’t it? Is this the idea (a “fresh install”), to format the disk and install W10?

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you run the windows 10 setup from a running windows 7 you wouldn't have to read this thread, that would be a full upgrade, this thread is about avoiding to do a full upgrade.

14. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    Thanks for the response. Maybe I don’t have the knowledge to understand what this thread is about. Or maybe it is simpler than I think it is.

Why would someone avoid the full upgrade? Is it a question of saving time (i.e. the fresh install is quicker than 10 minutes or so of the upgrade)?

Or there is another reason?

15. jackching

jackching MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2014
    Ok i want to make things right complicated now. I have windows 10 installed on an internal HDD. Would it be possible to hook up an external hard drive, install windows 7, activate it, get GenuineTicket.xml, then install windows 10 on the external hard drive using the GenuineTicket.xml. Windows 10 would then be activated on the external HDD. Would this transfer over to the existing windows 10 on the internal HDD somehow or is wiping the internal necessary?

16. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Windows 7 does not boot from an external USB disk.
    But Windows 8 does

17. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Full upgrade from win 7 to win 10 on a hdd stretches into hour+ durations depending on type & number of software currently installed.

18. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    Not in my case. I did it some days ago, and it took like 10-20 minutes, I don t remember exactly.

So that is the reason to avoid the full upgrade?

I thought that the reason was that you must do the clean install with a USB bootable drive to keep the activation done by the loader or any method you chose. And of course you must follow the rest of the instructions described in the original post. So am I wrong?

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The reason can be it takes hours to upgrade, or upgrade gives errors and clean install doesn't, it's personal if you want to upgrade or skip the upgrade entirely.

20. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    I upgraded win 7 & 8.1 to 10 on friends' laptops with 5400rpm hdd & every time it took around 1 hour+ with usual installed software.Once win 10 is "genuinely activated(aka no kms activator)" on a system then that activation is permanent & any future install on that same hardware system will be automatically activated after getting online.

I don't know what kind of system/settings are you using to upgrade your win 7 install to win 10 in 20min.Maybe you have ssd/sshd/lots of ram or maybe your win 7 install is quite plain in nature.

Ppl prefer to avoid upgrade because of 1)time spent & 2)avoid potential issues due to some problem/incompatible software/driver carried over from 7/8.1 to 10.