How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

1. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #1961 -Jim-, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    I decided to download from MS the image they supply as I assume (correctly or incorrectly) that it should be more current than my most present image mentioned above. I'm using Rufus 3.3 to create a bootable Thumb Drive. The SSD and CPU arrived so I think I've got all the bits to give this a try. Thanks for the assist.

I decided to update this post for continuity, rather than quote myself. For some reason the Win 8 Pro Keys did not work, but I remembered I'd bought a Win 7 Pro OEM Builder disk ages ago (July 6, 2011 ) when I was building another RIg which was long ago retired. I dug through my storage and found it. That Key worked perfectly. Thanks for the assist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Senior Member

Dec 9, 2011
    If both OS are on different hdd then one only needs to select the hdd at boot.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That's actually right. (And the way I prefer).

But when the w10 installation recognizes a w7 OS on the other drive, it installs a windows bootloader menu on the new (w10) drive. Therefore the new (w10) drive can have permanent boot priority.
    From its boot menu you can choose which OS to boot as well.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...