How to upgrade, reinstall or activate Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluate LTSC 2019 edition?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Durbatuluk, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    Hello all,
    Some idiot of my moms installed for her Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluate LTSC 2019 edition. It is now expired and it is restarting her computer every hour.

There are multiple things there, her photos and everything. I am unable to go there and reinstall it with backups is there any way to upgrade it or cancel the restarts for some time or upgrade it on distance?

It says "The current edition cannot be upgraded to any target editions." and cannot be activated and it also says "non-core edition run 'slui.exe 0x2a"

Thank you.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Can't activate that one Get a normal LTSC iso and new install it :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Can you not roll back to old winows installation does she not have windows.old folder in c:\

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Maybe but still you would roll back to a max 3 months old OS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes but still better than what she has at the moment, but in saying that I'm not sure how long you get on evaluation version it may be longer than 3 months so roll back not possible.

P.S. Just read evaluation it is 90 days so no rolling back

6. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    can I install it over like upgrade to preserve all user files and settings?

7. Yes.

8. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    Thx do you have link for such installation disk? I cannot find it ...

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  10. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    #13 Durbatuluk, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    (OP)
    Double message. sorry.

11. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    It says in every edition of the windows I try to install that I cannot upgrade (I will lose all files) as I am installing different edition than I have currently installed (of course I try to change it). So which addition I should install? These iso did NOT worked you linked for me.

Thank you.

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I suggest you to use Education edition as it has the widest upgrade path, plus is available on both consumer and business ISO's.

If you have an ISO already, just do the registry change like quoted above and fire up setup - it should now work and not complain about the upgrade.

13. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    #16 Durbatuluk, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    (OP)
    Thank you for the reply.
    Anyway all the registry options (all three you mentioned) only access second option in installer to preserve only personal files but will not preserve setting and installed programs...

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Did you actually try it?
    Because I've done it many times from LTSC to Pro / Education and back and it works for installed programs too.
    Just make sure you set the registry key to the edition you are going to install.
    Eval version should not matter much. If it really does not work, post your HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion output

15. Durbatuluk

Durbatuluk MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    I restarted the computer, restarted installer and now it says I have different language. So problem solved it seems now I have to find the original installed language because it is installed definitelly with language pack...

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You could use the MediaCreationTool.bat wrapper as it detects the language and then downloads the appropriate edition